Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapsed car insurance

Options
  • 04-03-2018 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all,

I have been insured with a car insurance company for the past few years and so far so good. They sent me a renewal notice a few weeks ago but I stupidly put it on the long finger. I realised to my horror on Wednesday that my insurance had been up since the previous Friday (all my fault,I know). I haven't been able to contact them since Wednesday as their offices are closed. My question is - how strict are insurance companies with lapsed renewal? Is there any chance of a few days grace, or will I be treated like a new customer? Thanks :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all,

I have been insured with Cornmarket for the past few years and so far so good. They sent me a renewal notice a few weeks ago but I stupidly put it on the long finger. I realised to my horror on Wednesday that my insurance had been up since the previous Friday (all my fault,I know). I haven't been able to contact them since Wednesday as their offices are closed. My question is - how strict are insurance companies with lapsed renewal? Is there any chance of a few days grace, or will I be treated like a new customer? Thanks :(

You will be a new customer.

Shop around anyway.

Go online now and do few online quotes.

Ring them Monday and see can you renew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Aranislands

Feck it anyway. I am kicking myself for not renewing there and then. I will search online tonight and call them tomorrow. Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Feck it anyway. I am kicking myself for not renewing there and then. I will search online tonight and call them tomorrow. Thanks for advice.

You will have any no claims built up for 2 years but it disappears after that.

Won't be an issue for you as you are insuring again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a thread I'd have made on a public forum with the company name mentioned

Really? Ok,I will edit the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You will be a new customer.

What does that mean?

Op, they'll likely still honour the quotation and you'll still have your no claims discount.

However, you're not currently ensured. There's no way around that.

I know. I have been anxious thinking about it since I found out on Wednesday. I haven't driven car (can't anyway because of snow). I will sort it pronto in the morning.

Thanks for advice everyone. I am going to delete thread soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't drive until your cover is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I know you said you won't drive but you said it ran out on Friday. I'd imagine that Wednesday was your last day of cover.

You should be ok sorting it tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My question is - how strict are insurance companies with lapsed renewal? Is there any chance of a few days grace, or will I be treated like a new customer? Thanks :(

You will not be treated like a new customer, you could have been away on holidays when the policy expired and a few days makes no odds provided you didn't drive the car. There are no 'days of grace' with motor insurance, you are uninsured at one minute past midnight when the policy expires.

Renew as soon as you can and they will send you a new cert. dated and timed (it will show a start time) when you renewed, do not drive untii you a re 100% certain that the policy has been renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tenigate wrote: »
    What does that mean?

Op, they'll likely still honour the quotation and you'll still have your no claims discount.

However, you're not currently ensured. There's no way around that.

If you don't renew your policy within a few days of its expiry then you become a new client and can sometimes get the new client discount they don't offer when renewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you don't renew your policy within a few days of its expiry then you become a new client and can sometimes get the new client discount they don't offer when renewing.

As Snopes might say :

Rating: MIXTURE

Advertisement