Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow snow tourists, please read

Options
  • 04-03-2018 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody in Dublin/Wicklow considering playing the snow tourist today, please read some of the posts on the following FB page ....

https://www.facebook.com/wicklowalerts/

There's currently only a single lane free from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood and every man and his dog with a D4 jeep is trying to get out there or to Glendalough.

STAY AWAY, PLEASE!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kilmac to Roundwood road now closed by Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Same on people heading towards foxes pub please re consider cause it’s so busy with locals digging drive ways and roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

anyone been up around cruagh or hellfire club are roads a no go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Elvisjuice wrote:
    anyone been up around cruagh or hellfire club are roads a no go ?

I live 5 minutes from there and still can't get my car out of the drive. Unless you drive a Caterpillar I wouldn't chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I live 5 minutes from there and still can't get my car out of the drive. Unless you drive a Caterpillar I wouldn't chance it.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Hopefully those of you in Wicklow have passable roads.

Haven't seen Mountain Rescue Teams posting warnings like this before. My own feeling is that people walking out onto Cornices for photos are the most likely to end up in trouble, anyone who was going to go down into the south prison on Lug to come back up it would probably be aware of the danger. Either way, fingers crossed for common sense.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hopefully those of you in Wicklow have passable roads.

Haven't seen Mountain Rescue Teams posting warnings like this before. My own feeling is that people walking out onto Cornices for photos are the most likely to end up in trouble, anyone who was going to go down into the south prison on Lug to come back up it would probably be aware of the danger. Either way, fingers crossed for common sense.

You've missed it then. Alun will I imagine support me in saying that they have warned against it many, many times via local and national print and broadcast media and the warnings have been ignored by some and treated as a challenge by others. They're also utterly sick to the back teeth of people expecting them to bail them out when their snowy motor-excursion ends in abject failure. Snow just seems to bring out the inner moron in a lot of people once there's a hill in sight. You just can't fix stupid.

2009 and 2010 saw plenty of muppets ignoring the requests to stay away and subsequent warnings from Gardaí when polite requests from the volunteers of Wicklow's MRT's were dismissed. It made no difference to the ****ers who carried on regardless. After years of going to help them, somebody had to draw the line and call a halt to the absolute abuse of MR Team members time and personal resources.

In any case, MR Teams want nothing to do with these matters. They're not trained, appropriately equipped or ultimately interested in giving some motorists a lift back to Roundwood/Laragh/Blessington etc., nor should they be. It's a road traffic matter and should be handled by the Gardaí via physical barriers/closures and penalties levied on motorists who ignore closure notices.

It wouldn't take long to put an end to that nonsense if legislation permitted Gardaí to effectively impound vehicles that got stuck, carrying a massive impound fee to reflect recovery/impound from a road subject to a weather related closure notice, or something along those lines. Kelly's would gladly provide suitable vehicles to effect the recovery and impound if the fine/fee was sufficient to cover the contract.

You'll get the point I'm trying to make I'm sure. It's nothing for MR Teams to be bothered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

@ JayZeus, I forgot to put the below link in my post, I meant to refer to the avalanche risk. Agree what you said however.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/public-warned-to-expect-series-of-avalanches-in-wicklow-mountains-36686143.html

Advertisement