Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Certificate 2018 Predictions

Options
  • 04-03-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

What do you think will come up this year? Please take mine with a pinch of salt, they are only predictions, not reality!

History
    Q4A - • Archaeologist
    • Medieval Castle (could be lord/lady/servant etc.)
    • Reformer (Luther)

B. • Planter in a named Plantation
    • Labourer/farmer during Agricultural Revolution
    • Michael Collins (leader during Struggle for Independence)

Q5 - Revolutionary Movements

Q6A - Renaissance

* If the Cold War doesn't come up as an essay then it will very likely come up as an account in question 6D.

French
    Written Expression 1: Postcard

Music
    This was hard so I picked 4 for Q1

Q1: An Mhaighdean Mhara, The Little Sandman, The Wexford Carol, Summer is Icumen in

Q2: O Fortuna, Carmina Burana

Q3D: Something about either the singing tradition or preservation of Irish music (organizations that promote it or Belfast Harp Festival)

Geography
    5 short questions on the OS Map/aerial photograph

Long questions were a bit hard, I chose 8 topics because there will be 4 in the geographical mix

Long Questions: • Economic Activities
    • Earth's Surface
    • Climate
    • Economic Inequality
    • Population
    • Urbanisation
    • Rivers
    • OS Map

Business
    Paper 1 Section B: • Budget
    • Club Account
    • Economics
    • Consumer*
    • Banking/Borrowing
    • People at Work

Paper 2: • Books of First Entry
    • Business Documents
    • Cash Flow Forecast
    • Final Accounts
    • Employment
    • Marketing

* I've spotted a trend where this happens
    2017: Insurance
    2016: Consumer
    2015: Insurance
    2014: Consumer
    2013: Insurance
    2012: Consumer
    It goes back like that so I'm quite confident that there will be a question on the consumer (probably question 4.).

You will probably be asked to write a report or letter at some stage so know the format

CSPE (lol)
    Section 2
    • Development
    • Human Dignity
    • Stewardship
    • Law

Section 3
    • Development
    • Law
    • Interdependence
    • Democracy

Will be interesting to see what the rest of you think!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was interesting to see how alike the History Mock papers from the two main companies were.

Either someone cogged off someone, or the setters for each company both came up with a similar paper going on looking at previous topics.

My own money would be something on women's suffrage coming up, possibly in the Social Change question, which I cannot recommend enough that people avoid.

It draws people to it like moths to a flame, but it is always the worst answered q on the paper, full of spoofing and wild statements like. 'It improved' or 'it got better', without any explanation, none of which gets marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

My teacher said she won't cover that part of the course because of how poorly answered it is. My teacher also expects revolutionary movements to come up on Q5. There hasn't been a Renaissance question in Q6 in ages, but there was an Agricultural/Industrial Revolution Q on Q5 recently enough, so I decided Renaissance has a higher chance of appearing rather than From Farm to Factory. It would be a shame if the Renaissance came up because I hate that section. It is my least favourite section of the course along with the Middle Ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Artane2002 wrote: »
    My teacher said she won't cover that part of the course because of how poorly answered it is.
    I think I love your teacher.

I wish more were like her.

The thing is, if you know the names of all the laws and legislation, you can do very well on Social Change, but you really need to know your stuff. Also, the 1950s or 60s was not a time of horse-drawn ploughs, children working in mines and crops not being rotated.

A good Renaissance question in Q6 is a possibility alright, but other than Social Change in Ireland, I wouldn't leave anything out.

Sorry Renaissance came up last year. In that case I would say From Farm to Factory will come up this year in 6A.

Sorry Renaissance came up last year. In that case I would say From Farm to Factory will come up this year in 6A.

Just because it came up last year doesn't rule it out for this year.

Be careful with any monastery qs - it is common for people to confuse early Irish monasteries with Medieval ones.

Likewise for some reason people misread 'a farmer in 'pre-Christian Ireland' as meaning a monk. I guess they see Christian and away they go.

Very important to read what you are actually being asked - the famous one being a number of years ago where the question was to write about a Renaissance printer and over 80% of the answers were on a painter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 justasking123

if From Farm to Factory were to come up in 6A then would a labourer/farmer during the Agricultural Revolution still be expected to come up in question 4?

if From Farm to Factory were to come up in 6A then would a labourer/farmer during the Agricultural Revolution still be expected to come up in question 4?

There is a chance but less likely than usual. Make sure to know your essay on a religious reformer, it hasn't come up in a while so there's a higher than average chance of it coming up this year (can't guarantee it though). The work of the archaeologist also has a higher than average chance of coming up.

In Q6A, I change my mind to either the Middle Ages or ancient civilisation outside Ireland. Also the Plantations or the Famine could come up in Q5.

Just make sure not to limit yourself too much as regards the questions you are prepared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thomasmurray

would industrial revolution (factories) be coming up for a people in history question or accounts

• Advertisement

would industrial revolution (factories) be coming up for a people in history question or accounts

I don't think it will come up as a people in history. There is a possibility that it may come up as an account. Try looking at an ancient civilisation outside Ireland and the Middle Ages too, they may come up in 6A. As I said, for the people in history, make sure to know the archaeologist, reformer and the Cold War and a few others like the planter etc. The Cold War will come up in either Q4 or 6D.

Hmm, looks like I'm contradicting my predictions. I looked over the paper and it looks like the AGRICULTURAL revolution hasn't been up as an essay since 2013. This means it is quite likely to come up this year but as I said, no guarantees. The INDUSTRIAL revolution came up last year, not very likely to come up this year. Of course, I can't guarantee you what will come up.

If the Plantations comes up in Q5, which is likely, then there is a high chance that it won't come up as an essay.

RIP whoever studied social changes! Didn't even come up, except as a people in history and a short question. 6B was the plantations while 6A was Early Christian Ireland. I must say, that was a very unusual paper. I found it easy, I did 6C (1913 Lockout + First Inter-Party Govt) and 6D (the Blitz and Berlin Blockade). Lovely test, funnily enough, yesterday I prepared the answers for all the accounts/PiH that I did today. 4B was unexpected but I prepared an account for the Home Rule Crisis so I was ready for that. The archaeologist and reformer came up in 4A, very easy, I did the archaeologist. I know a lot about the Blitz, from outside the course too, so I liked that question. For Q5 I did the reasons why the American War of Independence happened. I barely finished on time, just 5 mins before the end.

The less answers on Social History, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Ordinary level. People in history. Yuck, yuck and yuck.
    Not a monk in sight. No archaeologist. No Luther. No Columbus. No painter as such. Disappointing to say the least.

Your painter could have been 'a person living in Italy during the Renaissance'.

18 marks going for qs on monks in Q3, another 12 on explorer related qs in q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

spurious wrote: »
    Your painter could have been 'a person living in Italy during the Renaissance'.

18 marks going for qs on monks in Q3, another 12 on explorer related qs in q3.

Yes you are right. I suppose if you look closely and think carefully that could have been the painter. And it would be great if all students could do that.

However, if it doesn't say a named religious reformer, an early Christian monk, a named explorer, a named revolutionary leader and so on then there are some students who are not able to deal with that.

My mind set is of students who would choose Foundation if available and whose schooldays are finished at this point.

Oh I well understand the type of candidate that would get confused by the question. I taight them for thirty years. I know they were sick of me banging on about 'Answer the question you are being asked, not the one you think you are being asked'. Even at LC, it still stands true. It's why the modern 'learn off an answer' approach seems utterly daft to me.

The main thing at OL is to attempt as many qs as you can. Q3 is where OL students pass or fail. You can get no marks for writing down nothing, but a guess is absolutely better than nothing in Q3.

It is entirely possible to pass the OL paper (and even get a C or a B) without attempting Q4 at all (and many do).

Advertisement