Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3e - Ad break during finish of Formula E

Options
  • 04-03-2018 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I can't believe 3e went for an ad break during the last 2 laps of live coverage of the Formula E race tonight. Actually missed the last 2 laps and the finish. What sort of amateur company does something like that?

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dclifford wrote: »
    I can't believe 3e went for an ad break during the last 2 laps of live coverage of the Formula E race tonight. Actually missed the last 2 laps and the finish. What sort of amateur company does something like that?
    If it is any comfort I've seen it done in other sports as well such as cutting over to news when a hockey final went to overtime, missing a football goal in a European league due to commercial break and talk in the studio etc. It's not unheard of sadly and since they are planned in advance they are usually hard/impossible to move "live" based on what actually happens (and other issues then come up with the number of breaks taken, the time between them not meeting the law, the promised X minutes of commercial breaks not happening etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

ITV during the 2005 San Marino GP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Irish TV? Amateur? Me thinks you're giving them a wee bit too much credit there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think the actual race started slightly later than planned at a few minutes past ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dclifford

Nody wrote: »
    If it is any comfort I've seen it done in other sports as well such as cutting over to news when a hockey final went to overtime, missing a football goal in a European league due to commercial break and talk in the studio etc. It's not unheard of sadly and since they are planned in advance they are usually hard/impossible to move "live" based on what actually happens (and other issues then come up with the number of breaks taken, the time between them not meeting the law, the promised X minutes of commercial breaks not happening etc.).

I understand why they would have gone to the commercial break. They obviously had no idea what was happening and it was purely a commercial at a set time/interval.

But why have coverage of a sport that you can't guarantee that they will show the finish of. How could anyone watch a race on 3e now? I know I never will again.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Absolutely ridiculous. This was the first formula e live race I watched... pathetic. Give it to Sky Sports F1!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dclifford wrote: »
    is it actually 3e or the original broadcaster complain to them anyway hopefully they send the complaint on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think the actual race started slightly later than planned at a few minutes past ten.

F-E races are actually scheduled to start at xx:03.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

ELM327 wrote: »
    Give it to Sky Sports F1!

Dear God No!!.
    I watch it on spike I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

is it actually 3e or the original broadcaster complain to them anyway hopefully they send the complaint on.

3e decide the breaks, The world feed produce the whole race.

They would leave the taking of breaks to the transmission controller who wouldn't have a clue about when to take breaks. Its when channels don't want to get producers in to actually produce a show and just crash in and out of live programs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I know the lad who was in the seat for the world cup one.

He hasn't been back to ITV since.

Bad few weeks for ITV that.

ITV has a auto cue to go to break left in the schedule and forgot to take it out for Extra time. Cut to break and miss a goal.

At the Champions league final nike bough the whole 3:30 minute break after the game for all the regions millions of pounds. Only problem was the person who put it on the system did it as a 3 minute advert. They had to hand Nike back millions.

Then someone acidently went to break and missed Englands first goal.

This is what happens when transmission is contracted out and TV channels just don't give a ****e. RTE showed Esp 2 of a seris before esp 1 this week.

Advertisement