Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight cancelled question

Options
  • 03-03-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

My flight from Orlando to Dublin was cancelled on Thursday night due to snow in Dublin. I rang up and since I'm with the missus and a new baby I asked for the next direct flight home which will be a flight on Monday night.

However I have extended our car rental by 4 days costing 305 dollars because of this as we need the car to get around and have also extended the stay in the rented apartment we are in by the same amount of days.

I have travel insurance with Vela. My question is to Aer Lingus cover the cost of all reasonable food and drink expenditure in the window between when my flight should have taken off until Monday when the flight is scheduled? Also, would they cover the extra few days car rental cost and apartment rental cost?

I can't really see anywhere mentioning car rental in my travel insurance policy hence posting this thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,929 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes you are covered by the airline for reasonable expenses. You won't get any compensation though as it caused by the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

MuddyDog wrote: »
    My flight from Orlando to Dublin was cancelled on Thursday night due to snow in Dublin. I rang up and since I'm with the missus and a new baby I asked for the next direct flight home which will be a flight on Monday night.

However I have extended our car rental by 4 days costing 305 dollars because of this as we need the car to get around and have also extended the stay in the rented apartment we are in by the same amount of days.

I have travel insurance with Vela. My question is to Aer Lingus cover the cost of all reasonable food and drink expenditure in the window between when my flight should have taken off until Monday when the flight is scheduled? Also, would they cover the extra few days car rental cost and apartment rental cost?

I can't really see anywhere mentioning car rental in my travel insurance policy hence posting this thread!

Car might not be covered as it might be considered as a non essential. Accommodation is essential.

Your policy documents will list what is covered and to what amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Just my opinion but I wouldn't think that car rental would be covered as I doubt that it would be considered necessary or reasonable in the same way as food or accommodation.

I know people that were caught in Portugal during the last storm here and had to transfer from Faro to Lisbon to get a flight. They hired a car to get there but that wasn't covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes you are covered by the airline for reasonable expenses. You won't get any compensation though as it caused by the weather.

What do you mean? Aer Lingus won't pay any of my bills when i submit them?

If that's the case I assume my travel insurance is my port of call?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,929 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MuddyDog wrote: »
    What do you mean? Aer Lingus won't pay any of my bills when i submit them?

If that's the case I assume my travel insurance is my port of call?

No you get cover for expenses. There is no extra compensation as the flights were delayed by the weather so outside the airlines control, if the flight was cancelled for non weather issues then you would be entitled to several hundred Euro compensation for each passenger.

Car hire in the US is essential as a lot of States don't have good public transport. Either way between the airline and travel insurance there shouldn't be any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Ah yeah. I don't want extra comp. Just want food, drink and hotel and car covered. Won't be an issue by the sounds of it so!

Advertisement