Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone up Croagh Patrick in these trying times?

Options
  • 03-03-2018 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been up Croagh Patrick today? What's it like?
    How are the roads around Murrisk?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Has anyone been up Croagh Patrick today? What's it like?
    How are the roads around Murrisk?

4 pm
    2 Deg and dropping in Westport
    Roads in Westport OK, but heard that road at Kilsallagh on way to Reek is bad.

Even if there were no snow or ice on the Reek, the higher you go, the colder.

Have a thought for locals and Mountain Rescue who would have to come out for you if you get into bother.

The mountain will be there leter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

nuac wrote: »
    4 pm
    2 Deg and dropping in Westport
    Roads in Westport OK, but heard that road at Kilsallagh on way to Reek is bad.

Even if there were no snow or ice on the Reek, the higher you go, the colder.

Have a thought for locals and Mountain Rescue who would have to come out for you if you get into bother.

The mountain will be there leter

Thanks!

I am an experienced Alpine mountaineer. I will be ok. Climbed it many times in winter conditions for training purposes.

Thanks!

I am an experienced Alpine mountaineer. I will be ok. Climbed it many times in winter conditions for training purposes.

OK, go n-éirigh an bóthar leat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Did you go up?, How was it?, Pics?

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Did you go up?, How was it?, Pics?

TT

No, decided against it - wasn't sure how the local roads would be this morning.
    Will take a day off during the week and head somewhere nice and maybe higher.
    I don't think there will be much of a thaw above 400-500m this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i seen one guy up on the way up friday and another 3 on the way up yesterday about quarter to 4. madness to be heading up at that time and they didnt look like they were making a great pace either.

Will take a day off during the week and head somewhere nice and maybe higher.
    I don't think there will be much of a thaw above 400-500m this week.

Nephin looks a tough climb at the moment. The brief glimpse I got before the fog came down this morning showed she has got her full white overcoat on.

TT

irishgeo wrote: »
    i seen one guy up on the way up friday and another 3 on the way up yesterday about quarter to 4. madness to be heading up at that time and they didnt look like they were making a great pace either.

Agreed, hence my earlier warning to Nettlesoup. I didn't know that he was most experienced.

Amazed over the years at those who attempt CP and other mountains at wrong ti mes wearing unsuitable gear. I think some feel that they are entitled to call out Mountain Rescue or similar.

If I remember correctly Goethe summed it up well " Gegen die dummheit kampfen Die Gotter selbst vergebens " ( Even the Gods themselves fight in vain against stupidity )

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

nuac wrote: »
    Agreed, hence my earlier warning to Nettlesoup. I didn't know that he was most experienced.

Amazed over the years at those who attempt CP and other mountains at wrong ti mes wearing unsuitable gear. I think some feel that they are entitled to call out Mountain Rescue or similar.

If I remember correctly Goethe summed it up well " Gegen die dummheit kampfen Die Gotter selbst vergebens " ( Even the Gods themselves fight in vain against stupidity )

what ****ing eejit was going up there on friday ..

i drove over for a peek and i had the binos with me, you couldnt see the top but this man was on his down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

i drove over for a peek and i had the binos with me, you couldnt see the top but this man was on his down.

Yup and Saturday there was a lad heading up in boots and shorts. The IQ level of some puts the lives of Rescue crews in danger.

I know some Mountain Rescue teams use this kind of weather for training exercises. Don't make rash judgements.
    Experienced mountaineers also use rocky peaks with obvious tracks (like Croagh Patrick) for night climbs. Excellent training for higher summit attempts
    which often involve darkness.

Sure didn't someone recently climb Croagh Patrick 365 days in one year - I believe he went up night and day.

We have a good heritage for madness...."For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton."

Nephin looks a tough climb at the moment. The brief glimpse I got before the fog came down this morning showed she has got her full white overcoat on.

TT

Fairly handy gradient on Nephin if you approach it from the right side. Difficult to go badly wrong. Just a cold slog.

I know some Mountain Rescue teams use this kind of weather for training exercises. Don't make rash judgements.
    Experienced mountaineers also use rocky peaks with obvious tracks (like Croagh Patrick) for night climbs. Excellent training for higher summit attempts
    which often involve darkness.

Sure didn't someone recently climb Croagh Patrick 365 days in one year - I believe he went up night and day.

We have a good heritage for madness...."For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
    i assume they would be properly attired with helmets and hi vis etc , these guys had nothing like that. visibility was even worse on saturday. i think another 2 were on the mountain as well but i lost them in the cloud. this was at near 4pm.

i assume they would be properly attired with helmets and hi vis etc , these guys had nothing like that. visibility was even worse on saturday. i think another 2 were on the mountain as well but i lost them in the cloud. this was at near 4pm.

I don't wear a helmet myself at low altitudes unless I am rock climbing or scrambling. I only wear high-vis jackets on roads. You wont see a high-vis jacket in thick cloud. I do have 2 very good head torches. Visibility today for example ended around 200m-300m I imagine.

I am sure they knew the risks and I didn't hear of any missing hill walkers.

I don't wear a helmet myself at low altitudes unless I am rock climbing or scrambling. I only wear high-vis jackets on roads. You wont see a high-vis jacket in thick cloud. I do have 2 very good head torches. Visibility today for example ended around 200m-300m I imagine.

I am sure they knew the risks and I didn't hear of any missing hill walkers.
    probably but id say things go wrong fairly quickly in these conditions.

This was from someone who climbed up yesterday morning according to their tweet....

the_reek_Copy.png

TT

This was from someone who climbed up yesterday morning according to their tweet....

TT

Thanks TT. Looks icy! Lovely.

Anybody at summit selling mugs of tea and ham sandwiches?

imho an essential part of the pilgrimage

Anyone got a view of the reek? Where does snowline start?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone got a view of the reek? Where does snowline start?

Its high a this stage. I'm working in front of it :)
    Hard to gauge but I'd say 100-200 feet. It would be from the last left turn on the cone.

yop wrote: »
    Its high a this stage. I'm working in front of it :)
    Hard to gauge but I'd say 100-200 feet. It would be from the last left turn on the cone.

Gotcha, thanks yop.

Advertisement