Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a lone charity cycle.

Options
  • 03-03-2018 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm toying with the idea of doing a big cycle over 2 days and in the process raising money for a local hospice. My mother passed away from cancer last year and I would like to celebrate her life this way. She loved getting out on her bike and I too love cycling.

I'm thinking of maybe doing 500k over two days. Possibly Waterford to Waterville and back the next day. 250km each way.

Looking on the events pages on cycling Irelands website it just tells you how to run a big event with lots of people.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to do.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I'm toying with the idea of doing a big cycle over 2 days and in the process raising money for a local hospice. My mother passed away from cancer last year and I would like to celebrate her life this way. She loved getting out on her bike and I too love cycling.

I'm thinking of maybe doing 500k over two days. Possibly Waterford to Waterville and back the next day. 250km each way.

Looking on the events pages on cycling Irelands website it just tells you how to run a big event with lots of people.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to do.

Thanks.

Pick a date, a route, accommodation and then set up page where your friends can sponsor you. That's what I've done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Organise someome to follow you in a car - they dont have to be directly behind you, but someone that is available for support if you have any difficulty. Company for the overnight stop as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Very little, if in a club, ask the secretary to note it as a club spin/event. As a lone cycle, there is very little to plan, you just need you, your bike, a route and a date.

Personally, pick something that will get more response from people. Start at the hospice, pick either tough climbs, long distance (you have that covered) or picture positive locations.

Get a neighbour to ring a local paper after you have the sponsorship page set up. If you have any connections to the local GAA, let them know you are doing it to drum up interest.

Let local cycling clubs know you are doing it, see if they can to join you for sections (or give you advice on routes).

Closer to the day ring local radio stations and let them now you are doing it and if they could let listeners know, so as to give you a toot of support.

Lastly, best of luck, if you raise 20euro, 200 or 2000, it is all in aid of a good cause. You clearly cared for your mother and were appreciative of the support she received. Having seen the good work hospice care workers provide, I will sponsor you (and I am a cheap/tight b@5tard).

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Howya Fugs, tis meself....gofundme.com (as an example) or any similar crowdfundraising website is very easy to setup a campaign on.

Simply set it up, and as everyone above has said, pick a route, date, gey yerself and the bike ready, book accomodation and away you go.

Backup vehicle with a spare bike/spare parts/wheels and a basic first aid kit, along with food, drinks, dry change of gear etc would be advisable.

Maybe a friendly bike mechanic with a van (wherever you'd find one of those??!!) or your better half with the car and a bike rack...
    Something you can sit into and take a breather in from the rain/wind etc. while fueling up/having a cuppa etc.

provide updates on your training on your fundraising website, plenty pics (people love pics..ask me how I know!) as you perform the trip on social media platforms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Lads this is all great advise, thanks very much. I'm on track. I've picked a route. I've picked a date and I've started training.

Waterford to baltimore (the most southerly town in ireland) and back the next day. It's roughly 250k each way.

Thanks paul. I just might be talking to you soon. A spare bike might be a bit of a stretch but lots of bits would surely be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

No problem at all, dude.

Anything I can do to help, just ask.

Advertisement