Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that US ETFs aren't available, whats the newest option?

Options
  • 03-03-2018 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hello,
    I posted here before. 
    My situation is this, I'm from Ireland, now living in the US, I work in finance over here so I've a fair idea about the basics, but I know next to nothing about options in Ireland.
    My dad recently came into an inheritance 150k of which he would like to be long in the market with.
    We were all set in setting him up a few Schwab ETF's through Degrio, but of course they're not being traded in the EU anymore due to the prospectuses needing to be published in the local languages.
    So, what the best option now, he's a few hundred grand short to be doing any individual stock portfolios, so we're going to need ETF's or mutual funds - but I really can't see much out there - ETF's seem to be taxed to kingdom come and you can't long them, you have to CGT on them every 8 years?? and you can't carry over any losses either, which effectively rules out any small cap or emerging market etf's/funds - as there could conceivably be two bears before those 8 years are up and he could be at a loss in part of his portfolio.
    What are his options? He was talking about MAPs by Irish Life, but looks like the biggest money grab since annuities. I'm beginning to think just getting him to open a schwab account over here stateside and just by a few index funds.

Any suggestions? We want to have minimal expenses, at the asset level we're talking active management is pointless, so really, are there any companies that offer mutual funds and what are the tax implications of them? do you have to pay CGT every 8 years?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭dickface

You can sign him up with td or interactive brokers and buy US

Advertisement