Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get quality electrical sockets

Options
  • 02-03-2018 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there all,
    We have recently finished off a house we bought that was left unfinished for 8 years. Initially i supplied cheap white plastic sockets and switches for the electrician to fit.
    Now I want to change them for good quality polished chrome fittings. The majority of them are no real problem as they are standard units (double sockets, two gang switches etc).
    However, there are a few intermediate switches, three gang dimmers, three gang mixed dimmers and switches etc.
    I think I will need a range of modules so I can build up what I need but where to go for them? I am based in Lanesborough, Co. Longford but work all over Ireland so location isnt so important.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Intermediates certainly shouldn't be difficult to source.

If you need bespoke solutions then I would suggest looking at Hamilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Have you looked at the MK grid system? You should be able to find what you need there. I went with their white plastic facia plates, but I think they have metal faceplates, too.

RS Electronics is where I got my stuff.

Ted Plain wrote: »

I presume you mean RS Components?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Before you replace those switches for metal plate ones,check that you have an earth at each point

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Risteard81 wrote: »

Their website is entitled 'RS Electronic and Electrical Components'.

So I declare a 1-1 draw.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »

Their website is entitled 'RS Electronic and Electrical Components'.

So I declare a 1-1 draw.
    LOL. Nice try. It actually says "RS Components - Electronic and Electrical Components".

LOL. Nice try. It actually says "RS Components - Electronic and Electrical Components".

Bookmark their home page, then look at the name of the website in your bookmarks.

This is what you'll find, it's also what you see on the banner across the top of your browser when you're looking at their homepage ...

RS | Electronic and Electrical Components

coylemj wrote: »

Bookmark their home page, then look at the name of the website in your bookmarks.

This is what you'll find, it's also what you see on the banner across the top of your browser when you're looking at their homepage ...

RS | Electronic and Electrical Components

No it doesn't. The banner reads "RS Components | Electronic and Electrical Components". Which is what I stated it said. Also the box and invoice from my last order all have "RS Components" written on them. So to claim that anything other than RS Components is the name of the business is false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do they sell bulbs or lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedGableDave

No it doesn't. The banner reads "RS Components | Electronic and Electrical Components". Which is what I stated it said. Also the box and invoice from my last order all have "RS Components" written on them. So to claim that anything other than RS Components is the name of the business is false.

Lads. I am so confused I have no idea which website to go to.
    Best just to get some candles.
    Maybe four?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am gradually replacing all the basic white sockets and switches in my house with better quality fittings . I like the legrand synergy range with the brushed stainless steel finish. Real good quality fitting.

I get them in Dwyer's in cork but I am sure they are available elsewhere

Maybe four?

Link

Bruthal wrote: »
    Do they sell bulbs or lamps
    Lamps. They're not a garden centre!

Bruthal wrote: »
    Maybe four?

Link
    And their main site: RS Components

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can get these in Argos. BG Double Socket with 2 USB Ports (2.1A) Twin Pack 548/2829.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Go to any electrical trade wholesaler and they'll have catalogs from the leading brands plus knowledge on nuances such as value for money or quality etc.

They'll also give samples should you wish to see how they look before you buy all of them.

Shop local!

Lamps. They're not a garden centre!

They must be branching out

And their main site: RS Components

I was referring to their Irish website ... RS | Electronic and Electrical Components

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

MK and LeGrand would be very good quality but very expensive, if you wanted an alternative try Click whitehouse products they do a nice line called definity where the screws are hidden and the face plates can be put on after the painter is finished (one of my pet hates is paint on the edges of the sockets), you can get these in most electrical wholesalers i know Trade electric and Kellihers supply them. Prices for MK and Legrand would be cheaper in the wholesaler than RS.
    https://www.clicklitehouse.ie/products/definity/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Go into any half decent electrical wholesalers and ask for a click catalogue. You wont go wrong with that brand. Use them myself all the time. Good quality for a good price

• Advertisement
Advertisement