Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Thermostat for district heating

Options
  • 02-03-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I have district heating, with a hot water heat exchange unit in my utility kitchen, in place of a gas boiler or similar. There is a horstmann h27xl timer near the heat exchange unit in the utility kitchen, which controls the pre-set on/off times for 2 zones, downstairs and upstairs, with boost buttons etc. I have 2 simple IMIT TA3 manual dial thermostats, one for the downstairs zone, in the hallway, and the other upstairs, for the upstairs zone. I believe these have 2 just 2 wires, opening the circuit when the temperature goes above the set temperature.

I had the same setup in my previous apartment, which had a gas boiler, except that the upstairs and downstairs were both controlled by a single channel on the horstmann timer, but again it had 2 thermostats, one each upstairs and downstairs.

I imagine the Climote system is a good substitute for the horstmann timer, but then I'm still left with the 2 bog standard manual thermostats, and the internal thermometer on the climote won't be useful in the utility kitchen, which has no heater.

Would nest be any good for this setup? Or any other suggestions? I imagine there may be some options where the horstmann would become redundant, by setting it to constantly on, or other cases, where the imit thermostats would be made redundant by setting them to highest possible temperature.

Hive wouldn't appear to be a good option, as I would have to replace 1 horstmann with 2 hive receivers.

Any suggestions, appreciated.

Advertisement