Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring utilities when leaving rented accom

Options
  • 02-03-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I am leaving my rented accommodation in a few days and moving in to my own place. I am in the middle of a gas and electricity contract with Just Energy, but I have confirmed with them that I can transfer it to my new place without triggering an early-exit fee.

There will be a week or two after I leave when the rented accommodation is unoccupied.

My landlord is hassling me, seeking assurances assurances that the utilities won't be disconnected, and that he won't have to pay any extra fees, e.g., early-exit fees.

I accept that it is in my lease that "The tenant agrees with the landlord not to cause any of the utilities to be disconnected" (clause 2.40). Just Energy have confirmed to me that this will not happen during the switching process.

However, I can't see how it is my responsibility to make sure that he won't have to pay any extra fees. He has said that he will deduct any such fees from my deposit.

A few questions:
    1) I am right in thinking that he has no grounds to deduct fees if, e.g., he has to enter into a new gas and electricity contract and break it a few weeks later?
    2) What is the "best" way for a landlord to ensure gas and electricity supply for two weeks, bearing in mind that his new tenants may switch to a new supplier?
    3) As a continuation of question 2, are there any suppliers who don't have minimum contract lengths?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They should go into the landlords name when you leave the property, it is up to the landlord to sign up for the utilities once you leave.

Most landlords and utility companies are stupid in how they handle this, and seem shocked when someone is moving house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

Thanks – that's what I thought.

Am I right that a deduction from the deposit in this circumstance is not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Hi,

I am leaving my rented accommodation in a few days and moving in to my own place. I am in the middle of a gas and electricity contract with Just Energy, but I have confirmed with them that I can transfer it to my new place without triggering an early-exit fee.

There will be a week or two after I leave when the rented accommodation is unoccupied................

What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

What does this mean?

Fair self explanatory I would've thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Fair self explanatory I would've thought...

No it's not or I wouldn't have asked the question.

Is the OP leaving before the notice period is up, thus the property is "unoccupied for a week or two"? Or are the leaving on the termination date and the LL is going to renovate before re letting or moving in themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Hi,

There will be a week or two after I leave when the rented accommodation is unoccupied.

My landlord is hassling me, seeking assurances assurances that the utilities won't be disconnected, and that he won't have to pay any extra fees, e.g., early-exit fees.

I accept that it is in my lease that "The tenant agrees with the landlord not to cause any of the utilities to be disconnected" (clause 2.40). Just Energy have confirmed to me that this will not happen during the switching process.

However, I can't see how it is my responsibility to make sure that he won't have to pay any extra fees. He has said that he will deduct any such fees from my deposit.

A few questions:
    1) I am right in thinking that he has no grounds to deduct fees if, e.g., he has to enter into a new gas and electricity contract and break it a few weeks later?
    2) What is the "best" way for a landlord to ensure gas and electricity supply for two weeks, bearing in mind that his new tenants may switch to a new supplier?
    3) As a continuation of question 2, are there any suppliers who don't have minimum contract lengths?

Thanks
    I have my fair share of problems with tenants leaving without registering for electricity or signing 12 months contracts with suppliers and then breaking before the end of the contract. I do not return 20% of deposit until tenants have shown me that they have paid fully the electricity bill and I confirmed that there are no extra fees left out.

Question 1: Given the clause you quoted in your lease it is your obligation to make sure that no fees are leftover to the landlord.
    Section 16(a)(ii) of the RTA:
    “where the lease or tenancy agreement provides that any charges or taxes are payable by the tenant, pay those charges or taxes in accordance with the lease or tenancy agreement (unless provision to that effect in the lease or tenancy agreement is unlawful or contravenes any other enactment),” electricity charges (any type of charge) are your responsibility (even any break of contract fee that might be left over to the landlord, even though I doubt most suppliers do that). So yes the landlord can discount these charges from your deposit if they are left out for him/her to pay them.

Question 2: this is a problem for the landlord, not yours. You just have to call the electricity supplier on the day of your exit, provide the metre number and the landlord contact details. You then have to communicate to the landlord which electricity supplier you were using (I hate it when tenants don't do this and I have to waste time calling a few suppliers to know who the current supplier is, worst case I just call my preferred supplier and change it to them), finally when the final bill and any extra charge is paid, if asked by your landlord you should provide some proof that the balance on the account is zero (this is what I expect at least)

Question 3: Since it often happens to me that an apartment might be empty for a few days or a few weeks (if I have to do a renovation) after it is vacated, I know by heart who are the best electricity suppliers for short term periods. One is Airtricity SmartSaver Std 24hr and the other is ESB Electric Ireland standard. I both set them up on direct debit to avoid having to pay deposit and get a 4% discount, I avoid Bord Gáis like the pest (their customer service is on par with any public employee service: awful!), Just Energy is better for long term contracts in my opinion. Once a new tenant takes over I just call the electricity provider with the metre number and name and contact of new tenant, tenant knows he/she has to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

To answer 10pennymixup's question, I will be leaving on the day my tenancy expires, and then the landlord will be renovating for about two weeks before letting the place again.

@GGTrek, thank you for the detailed reply. I will closing my account when I leave, paying my bill in full and signing up with Just Energy again in my new place. They have told me that by doing this I can avoid the early-exit charge.

And thanks for the information about short-term contracts. I'll recommend these contracts to my landlord as it will allow him to avoid entering into a long-term contract that has an early-exit fee.

Advertisement