Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to make a complaint about disruly teenagers.

Options
  • 02-03-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello. I live in Tallaght. Our house has been pelted with snowballs the past few days. Done by three teenage lads, they're covering their faces well so I can't tell exactly who they are (have ideas though). They're specifically aiming at our house, not others. (Stuff like this has been going on for years.) I caught the lads on video today, but I'm not sure if anything can be done. Of course, I can't do anything until the snow is cleared. Then they might turn to throwing stones at the house or something.

Do you think anything can be done? Could we go to the police, or a community guard? What would that entail? Ideally we'd move, but we live it a council house so it'd take ages to get a new one. Any advice at all would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Suggest you talk to AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 8 N1ccii

Okay thank you! Wasn't sure if it was too drastic a thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They won't be in a position to do much. Unfortunately.

We had the same thing in 2010. I just went out and joined them. Throwing snowballs at my own house with a big smile on my face. They just started to look uncomfortable and went away.

That sounds hilarious, honestly. I'm glad it worked!

N1ccii wrote: »
    That sounds hilarious, honestly. I'm glad it worked!
    They're not the brightest.

(a) They thought they were the first geniuses ever to come up with the 'prank'.
    (b) They wanted a reaction. Either upset householder shouting at them or angry householder chasing them are the only two options they really consider. Thinking that somebody was sitting inside, quietly fuming, would've done them as well.

I was the only one home, and I was working in the shed at the time. Didn't even know they were at it till I went in to make a cuppa. Saw what they were at and went straight out. They squared up as if I was going to go for one of them. But I just picked up a double handful of snow and let fly. Smiling and joining in was a little more than they were cognitively able for.

It's funny, and I'd love to be able to explain it to them. Throwing snowballs at the house didn't annoy me. Having only the limited imagination necessary to think it was funny disappointed me on behalf of my species. :D

I wonder what they're at now... They'd be mid late 20's. I'd love to be able to sit them down and explain that the fact their life is a bit cr4p is because they don't posess the native intelligence and imagination necessary to make it not cr4p.

:D:D

• Advertisement

Sounds like a great story. I wouldn't mind the snowballs being thrown if were a one off incident, and not part of ten years of harassment. Oh well.

Yeah, I'd only imagine what those lads are up to now, or what the lads that were out there today will be up to in 10 years' time. Not much, probably.

Sounds like a great story. I wouldn't mind the snowballs being thrown if were a one off incident, and not part of ten years of harassment. Oh well.

Yeah, I'd only imagine what those lads are up to now, or what the lads that were out there today will be up to in 10 years' time. Not much, probably.

Have you ever reacted to them? At all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sorry for you having to live with the feral scum.

Just seen the videos of Lidl citywest and killinarden and feel sorry for any decent ppl having to live there.

Would you consider asking for a transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I had some snowballs lobbed at the front window yesterday afternoon. No big deal. We all got up to mischief in the snow as kids. When they came back in the evening after the kids went to bed and the snow hitting the window made the dog go mad, waking the kids that's when I cared. I went out just as one of them was about to throw(there was about 7) and let a roar at them about them being ****ebags the biggest one pulled down his hood and asked why I was calling his kids ****ebags!!!!

Is it any wonder the kids these days have no respect when their parents are letting them at it?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    the biggest one pulled down his hood and asked why I was calling his kids ****ebags!!!!

How did he react when you told him it was because they are ****ebags?

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Have you ever reacted to them? At all?

Yes, well, my dad has (I'm a teenager). My dad's a bit loud and can get angry easily, so I'm sure they love the reactions they can get out of him. For more serious incidents throughout the years, parents have been involved. Although lately, before the snow, it's mostly been the big kids getting the little kids to knick-knack, so we haven't done much to stop them, other than plainly asking them to stop.

anewme wrote: »
    Sorry for you having to live with the feral scum.

Just seen the videos of Lidl citywest and killinarden and feel sorry for any decent ppl having to live there.

Would you consider asking for a transfer?

Yeah, the videos are really portraying us Tallaght people in a new, positive light. /s

Transferring was something I only recently considered the other day. I'm not sure if it would happen, because my brother and I are older teenagers, although I definitely would still try, especially as I don't want my parents to have to live here for the rest of their lives.

Yes, well, my dad has (I'm a teenager). My dad's a bit loud and can get angry easily, so I'm sure they love the reactions they can get out of him. For more serious incidents throughout the years, parents have been involved. Although lately, before the snow, it's mostly been the big kids getting the little kids to knick-knack, so we haven't done much to stop them, other than plainly asking them to stop.
    You see? You've asked them to stop. Which translates as 'you're really annoying us'. Which is counterproductive, because that's what their tiny little heads set out to do in the first place.

If you've had reasonable reactions from the parents before, no harm in chatting again. Document incidents. Get pics. Pop round and let them know, 'I know. Its not your young fella all the time, but he has been involved. We know, its just a bit of fun etc., but...'.

Or, return the favour. If they ring your doorbell, immediately go round and ring their doorbell. Just ring it and walk away. If you're challenged, just explain why. Don't forget to smile. ;)

Yeah, the videos are really portraying us Tallaght people in a new, positive light. /s
    Me arse. You're from Tallaght. I'm from Tallaght.

We rock.

Yeah, reacting is definitely not what we should be doing. We do sometimes try to ignore it, but not for long enough I guess.

Oh I'm definitely going to start building up evidence now. Hopefully we'll work out exactly who it is and go around to their parents. Not sure if I'm brave enough to return the favour, but it is tempting :D

And you're right, there's some (okay many) ****e people in Tallaght, but it's not like we're the only crap town, and many of us are actually okay.

Not sure if I'm brave enough to return the favour, but it is tempting :D
    Ah, sure you're probably just too classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

endacl wrote:
    How did he react when you told him it was because they are ****ebags?

He made the usual threats. Tbh, I was so taken aback by the situation I can't really remember but i did hear him call ME a scumbag as I closed the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭moby2101

....... z

Advertisement