Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing timber in bags

Options
  • 02-03-2018 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

I've a good bit of timber to cut over the next few months but don't want to handle it too often. I was thinking of blocking it in the field and storing it in those half ton or ton ventilated bags. They have mesh on the side. Does anybody use them and are they strong? It seems handy to leave them in corner of yard to season and then lift into trailer and home.

https://sacks.ie/product-category/bulk-bags/

It's for home use only. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

I’m like you have a heap of it cut in lengths just to chop it up I was thinking 2 lines of pallets to act like a clamp,cover the top then with waste polyteen. Wat doing people think wud it work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭rn

We cut and loosely piled in a fairly open shed with a concrete floor, a mixture of Ash, Hazel and whitethorn two years ago. Buring it last year and this year. It's magnificent.

I'd avoid bags, regardless how breathable.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

The bags look a good idea, if you've got a way of moving them. If you're not storing them inside -you're best putting them on pallets and making a plastic cover to protect the top and mesh sides fom driving rain that doesn't restrict the airflow too much.
    I just made a log seasoning bay today out of two plasterboard pallets(2.4 metre) sitting on four normal size ones. It will hold 4.5 to 5 cubic metres when heaped up.20180303_165707.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Split already and stacked on pallets under a tarp outside. I have the tarp kinda like an igloo with a small open doorway either end that lets a good gust in through the igloo. Open it up once the good weather starts and Wood dry well before the end of summer for stacking in shed.

Wood will be that aged grey color before summer.

No point stacking wood inside untill its thoroughly dry, or you have the space to stack it loosely to dry inside a well ventilated shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭memorystick

I don't have the space in ashes so was going to leave in vented bags In an open part of the yard but cover the tops. I'd lift into trailer and home. I hate double and treble handling stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

The ventilated dumpy bags are good although slow to fill if you want to stack in them. For most of our storage we use tree crates from the garden centre. They're Euro-pallets with sides and hold about 1.2 m3. I'm fortunate enough to have a concrete slab so can use a pallet jack to shunt them around. When using the bags, I put it on a pallet for mobility, sometimes on top of one of the tree crates to hold the end of a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I don't have the space in ashes so was going to leave in vented bags In an open part of the yard but cover the tops. I'd lift into trailer and home. I hate double and treble handling stuff.

If you havent room in your shed then you could put the bag on a pallet in the yard and put another pallet on top thats larger than the bag and tack some plastic sheeting over it - this will create an overhang that will protect the top and provide a bit of shelter againt water running down, or being blown against the open mesh siďes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Bags are good imo
    Other idea I've come across if you've pallets and forks about is to tack a ring of sheep net to pallet and fill it with logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I've put my timber in bags on pallets this year and find it a lot less labourious. Have a layer of mypex over the top to let rain run off. This coming winter will tell if the timber is in better condition than stacked-in-the-shed timber.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I've stored turf in the tonne bags here. Moving some lately that was filled in 2016. The bags had degraded a lot, several of them split. Just something to be conscious of if you're storing them long term!

• Advertisement
Advertisement