Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail fine

Options
  • 02-03-2018 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I was recently caught on a train for having my student card 2 months out of date and was given a €134 fine. Angry by this I gave a fake address for the letter to be sent to, the only information that was correct was my name and my old student number from the college I attended last year. As I am not a registered student there anymore and seeing as they don’t have my proper address can I still be caught? Am I better off just paying the fine before it escalates or will I get away with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pay the fine as it will only get worse if you dont.
    Not sure why you're angry. You tried to defraud the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Giving fake details is 1000 euro fine on conviction

Pay up, you broke the rules, got caught, lied and are lucky not to have been caught out and arrested on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

So you knowingly didn't have a valid ticket yet you got angry at Irish rail when caught?

Jesus wept.

Pay the damn fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TrainFineGuy12

‘Arrested on the spot’ sit down love and have a cup of tea for yourself, think the snow has frozen your ability of clear thought. LOL.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy army fatigues and a balaclava and spent your life in the underworld.

They'll never catch you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I'd just pay the fine honestly. If they have your old student number it sounds too risky. Things could get much worse for you if they follow it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

‘Arrested on the spot’ sit down love and have a cup of tea for yourself, think the snow has frozen your ability of clear thought. LOL.

You come on here, ask for advice and then come out with that attitude...good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Transport Act 1955 allows for your detention until you can be handed over to the gardai. Routine to see gardai at stations to assist during major ticket checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ah the cabin fever must be setting in. It'll bring all the trolls out. This one is a pretty poor effort in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I was recently caught on a train for having my student card 2 months out of date and was given a €134 fine. Angry by this I gave a fake address for the letter to be sent to, the only information that was correct was my name and my old student number from the college I attended last year. As I am not a registered student there anymore and seeing as they don’t have my proper address can I still be caught? Am I better off just paying the fine before it escalates or will I get away with it?

You're a horrendous example of a human being and if I thought for one second you attend my College you'd have expulsion proceedings started against you.

Pay up and get some morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I think it is about time Universities get funding to build detention centres to keep characters like the OP locked up away from law abiding public transport users.

rgace wrote: »
    I think it is about time Universities get funding to build detention centres to keep characters like the OP locked up away from law abiding public transport users.

And the staff - seriously knobheads like the OP are the reason I earn every cent I get!!!

‘If I thought for one second you attended MY College’ Peter Parker you alright m8? You own your own college or something? You ain’t Michael D Higgins so pull your head out your back side,the fresh air might make you snap back to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

You're a horrendous example of a human being and if I thought for one second you attend my College you'd have expulsion proceedings started against you.

Amazingly, posts like the above make the fine dodger deserving of some sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

‘If I thought for one second you attended MY College’ Peter Parker you alright m8? You own your own college or something? You ain’t Michael D Higgins so pull your head out your back side,the fresh air might make you snap back to reality.
    Ah, would you ever go out and run around in the snow for a bit. Come back in when you’ve burnt off a bit of the attitude and can converse with grownups.

Oh. And pay the fine. You come accross as the kind of tool who need a bit of fining every now and again.

Thank you for your valid opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Feed the birds, far more useful than feeding the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Does anybody really think Irish Rail have the permission to ask a college for the current address of a past student?

Even if they have permission I honestly think you are delusional if you think they are smart enough or care enough to chase it. And like they would get 1k out of an ex-college student even if they did.

Train prices are disproportionately high for many journeys anyway as a direct result of inflated salaries. No OP you'll never get caught, but please try hard to not do it again. Btw I'm sure the hassle and potential of this fine is probably enough to make you pay for future journeys, I hope that it is.

No they can’t by law ask for any details to my previous college, but if and when the fine is not paid the total will go up, so my thinking has me to believe they’ll get the Gards involved and they’ll have the right to obtain any information on me so I can be caught! Maybe I’m thinking too much in to things but knowing my luck that will happen. Thanks to the last two reply’s, nice to get some normal feedback instead of receiving pointless opinions of people who think they are on a higher pedestal than the average person :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Does anybody really think Irish Rail have the permission to ask a college for the current address of a past student?

Even if they have permission I honestly think you are delusional if you think they are smart enough or care enough to chase it. And like they would get 1k out of an ex-college student even if they did.

Train prices are disproportionately high for many journeys anyway as a direct result of inflated salaries. No OP you'll never get caught, but please try hard to not do it again. Btw I'm sure the hassle and potential of this fine is probably enough to make you pay for future journeys, I hope that it is.

They won't chase it. What will probably happen is ,it will go to court and the ok will be fined(handsomely I hope). IR won't be able to trace him,but the revenue gatherer they hand the file to will be,so he will pay even more.

No they can’t by law ask for any details to my previous college, but if and when the fine is not paid the total will go up, so my thinking has me to believe they’ll get the Gards involved and they’ll have the right to obtain any information on me so I can be caught! Maybe I’m thinking too much in to things but knowing my luck that will happen. Thanks to the last two reply’s, nice to get some normal feedback instead of receiving pointless opinions of people who think they are on a higher pedestal than the average person :)

You're not worth of a ban for calling you what you actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm not sure tbh. I heard one story about a guy getting ticket inspected in the station after disembarking, jumping the barrier and hopping in a taxi and driving straight off. The station guys contacted the taxi company and asked if they could find out where the taxi dropped your man off to, and they showed up with a fine a few days later. Could be bollocks, but tbh if it was me I just wouldn't take the risk. I'm in total agreement these days with people like the OP in that train prices have become an absolute joke and getting cheated is exactly what Irish Rail should expect with their current rip off tickets, but if someone gets busted in the process and hands over valid - even if outdated - personal information, the game is basically up. The fine in court isn't even the biggest worry I'd have, it's the criminal conviction which would accompany it and remain on one's record for a fairly silly reason. Pretty big price to pay in terms of getting foreign visas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

you might need to get out more

as for the OP

pay the fine
    don't pay the fine

you're going to do what you're going to do anyway..

but getting pissed at being caught out for being a sponger is worthy of ridicule

lawred2 wrote: »
    as for the OP

pay the fine
    don't pay the fine

you're going to do what you're going to do anyway..

but getting pissed at being caught out for being a sponger is worthy of ridicule

A sponger? I paid €18 for my ticket because I’m still a student, I’m just not registered with the college as I’m a repeat attender. I didn’t hop on the train without paying, I paid for a ticket and got done as my college ID was out of date since December. What would be the point in getting a new college card when I’m fully done in May. And the ticket man gave me a €100 fine and had the cheek to add on another €34.25 for ‘unpaid fare fee’. Anyone would be pissed off at that

A sponger? I paid €18 for my ticket because I’m still a student, I’m just not registered with the college as I’m a repeat attender. I didn’t hop on the train without paying, I paid for a ticket and got done as my college ID was out of date since December. What would be the point in getting a new college card when I’m fully done in May. And the ticket man gave me a €100 fine and had the cheek to add on another €34.25 for ‘unpaid fare fee’. Anyone would be pissed off at that

just appeal it then...

why would a repeat attender be unregistered?

lawred2 wrote: »
    just appeal it then...

why would a repeat attender be unregistered?

€200 per module to repeat. I’ve a few..

€200 per module to repeat. I’ve a few..

fair enough but you're either a registered student or you're not for the purposes of travelling with a student card...

I'd still try appealing but the fake address thing won't have done you any favours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you aren't registered as a full time student then you likely aren't a full time student.
    If you aren't a full time student then you are unlikely to have a valid student card.
    if you are not in possession of a valid student card then you can't use student travel fares or tickets or passes.
    If you use student travel fares or tickets or passes then you are fare evading, and have been for quite a long time now.

And yet you have the neck to accuse Irish Rail checkers of cheek for charging you the correct fare? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement