Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The influencer thing

• 01-03-2018 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Kids these days watch ads where people tell them about a product they are given free or paid to say is good. It’s sometimes accompanied by a story about their life.

When this is explained to them they say I wouldn’t understand because I’m old. I do understand though it’s you who is naive.

What’s the attraction here. I hear young ladies discussing these people on the bus before I get fed up and put the earphones in.

You are the product. These people are just selling you stuff. People actually pay to go and be sold stuff in person yet if an Avon lady knocked on the door they’d tell them they were busy.

What’s the attraction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

My friend and I write a very popular blog. We make no money from it whatsoever as we don’t do promotional posts or have advertising. We also never accept freebies. We only do it as an inspirational fashion and makeup blog. The attraction is that we post about things that interest a lot of people. It’s a digital age nowadays. Before, people bought hard copies of magazines and read the fashion and beauty segments. Nowadays they look online. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are going to buy the items. A lot of blogs are for inspirational purposes only. I read loads of blogs and I don’t necessarily buy things that are posted about. I often find inspiration in items I already own or I might style something another way as a result of a pic I see online.

I do kind of think the shows that some of the influencer/celebs hold in hotels around the country are a bit naff and money spinners though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

You’d say that though you are an influencer. Are you never going to profit from this? If so that’d be honourable but at some point you will want to pay the bills or jack in the real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    You’d say that though you are an influencer. Are you never going to profit from this? If so that’d be honourable but at some point you will want to pay the bills or jack in the real job.

No, it’s only a hobby for us as we are content with our normal jobs! We’ll never profit from it. We aren’t in it for that reason. Just a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

do you mean the attraction for the blogger, or for the viewer?

As a fortycoughcough aged woman I don't take influence from mommyblogs or fashion blogs, per se. I do like to see make up tutorials and blogs from people that I am interested in. I do like to read and take advice on what applies to me, but I am old enough to know the difference between sponsored content and somebody just giving their opinion.

And who wouldn't love people to take their opinion seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MOved to Social Media & Blogging

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I follow a number of blogs and youtube channels. I'm not that young and I fully recognise when they are promoting a product because it's been sent to them or they are in a paid partnership with the brand however often they are brands that I would be interested in anyway and it's nice to see what they've brought out that's new.

I've narrowed the number of ones I follow down and am selective about them as I don't want ones who solely do paid advertisements or more often than now.

For me I follow mainly make-up and lifestyle blogs. I'm interested in make-up and it's nice to see new products or how someone uses them. I have bought things after seeing them in youtube videos but most of the time it's been because I've been looking for something similar and what they're using looks good. In terms of the lifestyle side - I like to get inspiration for home and while I wouldn't copy how someone has their house, it has led me down a path of ideas.

Like someone else said, it's similar to magazines in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Like someone else said, it's similar to magazines in a lot of ways.

It's similar to all advertising.

Nobody says boo about Jennifer Aniston advertising Aveeno.

Or Johnny Depp advertising Sauvage.

Or Gary Linneker advertising Walkers crisps.

I see no difference.

It's similar to all advertising.

Nobody says boo about Jennifer Aniston advertising Aveeno.

Or Johnny Depp advertising Sauvage.

Or Gary Linneker advertising Walkers crisps.

I see no difference.

But would you specifically sit down to watch ads on tv.

Like ooh the new gary lineker ad is on tonight.

No I wouldn't. But would I sit down to read an article about products or things I was interested in? Yes I would and do regularly. I also read blogs for similar bits of information.

Honestly some people do. Particularly around Christmas and the Super Bowl. Bif events, big celeb endoresements, big money.

I don't see what the problem is to be honest. Other peoples viewing habits don't impinge on yours. :confused:

• Advertisement

Honestly some people do. Particularly around Christmas and the Super Bowl. Bif events, big celeb endoresements, big money.

I don't see what the problem is to be honest. Other peoples viewing habits don't impinge on yours. :confused:

Why do I have to have a problem it’s just interesting is all.
    I find it hard to believe anyone successful at it is burning bridges and dissing products you’d be safer with an Amazon review.

I find it hard to believe anyone successful at it is burning bridges and dissing products you’d be safer with an Amazon review.

Tbh your opening post was fairly scathing. There’s a place for everything. There are bloggers who are very successful but who give honest reviews and will give a bad review if they feel it’s warranted.

You can give an honest review with "dissing products". For example - one of the bloggers I follow recently reviewed Fenty Beauty products, she said she liked the foundation a lot but that some of the other products, while she liked the idea, she just didn't get on with. Some of this was down to her own skin type versus what the product was possibly aimed at. It a well rounded review but she did mention that she just didn't like a couple of the products at all.
    Tbh your opening post was fairly scathing. There’s a place for everything. There are bloggers who are very successful but who give honest reviews and will give a bad review if they feel it’s warranted.

Exactly. And to be fair, most people I know who follow blogs will not stick with one which solely just seems to give positive reviews cause nobody likes everything. If a blog has solely positive reviews without one in any way negative comments, it doesn't read true and wouldn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

The 'influencer' thing drives me nuts- instant "get a fcuk'n real job" reaction and hit the x button or maybe leave them a message saying get a real job.
    It's one thing if they've achieved a following for doing something productive, being talented at something but there's these online gimps buying followers and trying to become an influencer as an alternative to an actual job

Advertisement