Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lights flickering on 07 kia ceed 1.6crdi

Options
  • 01-03-2018 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi my headlights and internal dash lights are flickering. This is happening when the engine is on only.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It could be something as simple as a loose connection around the alternator or battery, the regulator in the alternator could be faulty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kealyboy

Quick update, my car would not start this AM. Charged battery with jump leads and car started but left it for an hour or so and it went dead again and would not start.

Is there any way I can test the battery/alternator to find out which one is at fault? I have a multi meter.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Quick update, my car would not start this AM. Charged battery with jump leads and car started but left it for an hour or so and it went dead again and would not start.

Is there any way I can test the battery/alternator to find out which one is at fault? I have a multi meter.

Thanks

Have you checked the leads on the battery and alternator to ensure they are on firm?

It sounds like this is your problem

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Have you checked the leads on the battery and alternator to ensure they are on firm?

It sounds like this is your problem

Just checked that there now all conection seem fine. Also i just checked the charge on the battery now and it said 12.3v dc

• Advertisement

Just checked that there now all conection seem fine. Also i just checked the charge on the battery now and it said 12.3v dc
    I jumped started the car there and brought it for a spin. On return I checked battery with multi meter while engine running and it read 13v dc, then i turned off engine and check battery and it read 12.6v dc.

Left the car for 5mins and now it wont start again, charge on battery now reads 12.4v dc. If this helps

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

13V when charging sounds low, I'd expect something over 14, especially as the battery was depleted before the run. It could be the battery, or the alternator may not be putting out the right power, which is going to need a bit more analysis. Ideally, the battery needs to be charged overnight, and then tested with a heavy discharge tester, and if it shows OK, the alternator or wiring to it are the suspects. If the battery doesn't pass the heavy discharge test after an overnight charge, then there is an issue there.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Try testing the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running and a load on the system, headlights, hrw etc. If you're absolutely certain that all connections around the battery and the alternator are good I'd strongly suspect the alternator is struggling.

13V when charging sounds low, I'd expect something over 14, especially as the battery was depleted before the run. It could be the battery, or the alternator may not be putting out the right power, which is going to need a bit more analysis. Ideally, the battery needs to be charged overnight, and then tested with a heavy discharge tester, and if it shows OK, the alternator or wiring to it are the suspects. If the battery doesn't pass the heavy discharge test after an overnight charge, then there is an issue there.

I think ill just bring it to a garage to diagnose as i dont want to risk buying a new battery for €90 approx and then finding out that the alternator is at fault.

jca wrote: »
    Try testing the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running and a load on the system, headlights, hrw etc. If you're absolutely certain that all connections around the battery and the alternator are good I'd strongly suspect the alternator is struggling.

Ok thanks ill do that. If all comes to all and it is the alternator at fault, how much would that cost to repair approx?

Car is a 07 kia ceed 1.6crdi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Ok thanks ill do that. If all comes to all and it is the alternator at fault, how much would that cost to repair approx?

Car is a 07 kia ceed 1.6crdi

Had a quick look on micks garage and you can get them ranging in prices from 334 - 406.

So you'd be looking at whatever your mechanic can source or refurbish your one for plus labour

Advertisement