Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant turn on wifi - Windows 7

• 01-03-2018 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, hoping you can help.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C660D running Windows 7 with 6gb ram.

Recently I did a reset to factory settings, to improve performance. Everything was fine and I had wifi to do updates etc. However last night I turned it on and there is no Wifi connection.
    • Other devices such as phone are working so not a router problem.
    • There is no wireless adapter in the adapter settings page, just my LAN.
      I have tried using Fn plus F8 as the F8 has a wireless sign on the key, but nothing happens. When the FN tray appears there is no F8 there, just F7 skips to F9.
      I have tried a system restore to before the problem.
      I have tried Windows Mobility Centre and there is no Wifi present on that menu.
      I logged into BIOS and there is no option there regarding Wifi.
      I dont have an Ethernet cable so cant use the help me on that computer itself.

It’s like the computer doesnt know my wifi adapter is there.

Any help would be appreciated as I spent several hours trying solutions I found online last night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Does it show in Device Manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SwedishChef92

No, just my LAN (Realtek...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe it needs Ctrl or Shift or Alt with the F8. My Dell needs Alt-F11 for PrintScreen, shown in blue on F11 key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I had something similar with a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, the wifi adapter just stopped working, didn't show in Device Manager either.
    I just assumed it was a hardware failure so I bought a little USB wifi adapter for about €12 which worked better than the original.
    Then when I upgraded from 7 to 10 the adapter started to work again, but not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SwedishChef92

Tried the Ctrl, Shift and Alt with FN and F8 and still no luck.

It’s an old computer so was hoping I wouldn’t have to put any money into buying bits that might be unused once I replace computer. But they don’t seem expensive so at least it’s an option if nothing else works so thanks for the response.

The battery is on its last legs so could also be a cause.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's not in Device Manager then it's Do Not Pass Go.

Battery should not affect it.
    Though saying that I've had problems running an old Toshiba that wanted a 5A power supply from a 3A one, unless it had a nearly dead battery to provide just enough extra power to boot.

Use an ethernet cable to get the latest updates anyway
    Windows or Linux , new or old this is pretty much something you'll need to do anyway. Check the toshiba websites for drivers too

Check the BIOS too in case it's disabled there, if not do a factory reset / defaults just in case of weirdness.

On old laptops in general -
    double check for a physical WiFi switch , it may be near the physical volume control , easy to recognise as both will be the same colour as the base and hidden in shadow or on the opposite side of where it's on every other laptop :mad:

Advertisement