Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cravings

Options
  • 28-02-2018 10:49pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I did a search for a thread on cravings and only found one from eight years ago! Apologies if this is a repetitive topic.

So, cravings! Are you having any? Did you have any with previous pregnancies? Do you believe in any old wives tales about particular cravings being related to the sex of the baby? Anyone with pica wanting to lick the curtains or suck on a firelighter? :pac:

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and my only craving is breakfast cereal with cold milk. At first it was Ready Brek, now it's Cheerios. Could be a lot worse! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Cornflakes. Bowls and bowls of it.
    And very strangely, I traipsed across town the other day to buy Rosemary because I NEEDED to smell it. That was weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

For my mother, chewing pm firelighters and coal lumps. My last pregnancy I ate a raspberry magnum pretty much everyday for months but this time around I just want big hearty dinners full of meat and potatoes (even at 4am) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

So far not really.
    I have developed a dislike for mints (breath mints and gum and all that) for some reason.
    Don't believe in the old wives tales, but it would be funny to try them out and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Last pregnancy I couldn't get enough of beansprouts for some reason, this time round I am craving white magnums and rice puddings! (Would never eat rice puddings normally but I'm actually searching for them anytime I go shopping.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Early in this pregnancy, cold grapes from the fridge, and a bit of coca cola (not together!).Bizarre.Only things that would ease the nausea too.On the other two it's been apple juice.Generally my cravings stop after first trimester anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

First trimester on both was corn flakes and McDonald’s. They were pretty much all I could stomach! Now I can’t face them! Second trimester on both is sour jelly’s like haribo tangtastics. Could eat a bag a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jillapino

Walkers ready salted! All I could eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Typical first trimester - just wanting to eat bland carbs all the time... chips, pasta with very little sauce, potato waffles, crisps, mash.

Also orange juice and fruit - which is the same as my last pregnancy.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

KFC chips and gravy with my first son, noodle soups with my second.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had an aversion to rashers. Rashers ffs.

Also craved anything citrus - Orange mi-wadi, Loop-the-loops, lemon sorbet.

Usually anything frozen relates to an iron deficiency supposedly and my cravings would support that theory. I'm guessing that the citrus bit was to help with iron absorption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My craving on first pregnancy was green extra chewing gum. I'd ram two or three of them into my mouth amd chew chew chew until the crunchy shell was gone. Then I'd bin it and go again. My jaw was in bits!
    I had no cravings on most recent pregnancy - i think i convinced myself that i craved the chewing gum again but definitely not as much as first time.
    Had a baby girl this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Carbs and sugar right now. Very little is appealing. Often by the time I cook it I can't stomach it. I even picked up my lunch in the canteen last week and by the time I got back to the staffroom it was turning my stomach and I had to dump it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

First pregnancy, turnip and spud mashed with real butter!

Second, I loved the smell of fresh paint, we were decorating our first house and that's how my dad figured out I was pregnant.. Lol, I kept sniffing the paintbrush, it smelled like ice cream!
    fresh fruit salad and water by the gallon. But my biggest craving was pickled beetroot, I'd come in from work and go straight to the fridge and eat it from the jar. She loves beetroot!

Third, Apple's. Lots and lots of apples, he won't eat them!

Fourth, again fruit particularly grapes.

Fifth, sausages.. I would've turned into one! She would eat her body weight in sausages if she was let :D

Sixth, small white roll with a fried egg and mustard.. Lol. Day or night but definitely for breakfast.

And I'm done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Ice ice baby. All I wanted on all 5 pregnancies was to eat ice cubes all day long. The snow has made it worse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Apparently an ice craving can indicate low iron levels. Might be worth asking your doctor about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Apple juice, crunchy nut cornflakes and the sour jellies as well. Ginger nut biscuits around week 20, all I wanted was the damn ginger nuts.

Completely went off eggs chicken and fish, ate lots of beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Two pregnancies. Two girls. Craved the exact same lucozade (gross!), mushrooms and haribo sours.

Pregnancy completely turned me off mince beef. Haven’t eaten it since, oh god the smell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Only for things I always s want and now can’t have: cured meats, soft cheese, sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Apparently an ice craving can indicate low iron levels. Might be worth asking your doctor about. :)

Ridiculously low iron levels. Waiting to have my infusions and b12 injections to bring it back up. Happens each time

Advertisement