Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer Reference for Landlord

Options
  • 28-02-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a place to rent in Dublin - the struggle is indeed real.

Most letting agents and landlords are looking for an employer reference. My supervisor has said that if I draft something she will review and sign it.

Does anyone know what kind of information a landlord would be looking for in an employer reference? I imagine it wouldn't be your typical recommendation letter?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

biohaiid wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently looking for a place to rent in Dublin - the struggle is indeed real.

Most letting agents and landlords are looking for an employer reference. My supervisor has said that if I draft something she will review and sign it.

Does anyone know what kind of information a landlord would be looking for in an employer reference? I imagine it wouldn't be your typical recommendation letter?

Basically that you are employed full time and since when.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Hi,

Hi Bio,

The minimum I would look for is confirmation that you are a full time salaried employee of xxx LTD. It should also give your position within the firm. It would need to be on headed paper of course with all contact details for me to call your employer / HR department.

While this is a bare minimum, if your earnings are included in it, its certainly a stronger reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Great, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

My last letting a senior manager arrived with the employee the company since had agreed a long-term i so required no refs my tenant is the company and a global one at that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Employer references are typically bare bones affairs that usually state you are an employee of the company, and for how long. Salary details are usually not included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Personally I'd be very uncomfortable with salary being on it. Sure, it might be the done thing and in reality needed, but how does that work with Data Protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Personally I'd be very uncomfortable with salary being on it. Sure, it might be the done thing and in reality needed, but how does that work with Data Protection?

EA/LL can just had it back to you once viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your salary isn't personally identifying information, so is not subject to any particular Data Protection limitations.

A typical reference would go:
    PRINTED ON COMPANY LETTERHEAD

TODAY'S DATE

To Whom it may Concern

This is to confirm that biohaiid is employed by ABC Ltd in in the position of Widget Woggler. S/he has been working here since the 12th ofNever 1992. His/Her current annual salary is €nn,nnn. [ALTERNATIVE SENTENCE He/she is on a base+commission package: over the last 12 months his/her average take home pay was €nnnn per month.]

If you have any queries, you can contact me directly on 012 345 6789 or through our main switchboard on 01 987 65 43.

Yours faithfully
    biohaiid's manager

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

no salary was ever quoted on any of my employer letter, nor will it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

rossmores wrote: »
    My last letting a senior manager arrived with the employee the company since had agreed a long-term i so required no refs my tenant is the company and a global one at that

Are you suggesting that the OP bring their boss with them? If not then what was the point of this post, as in how does it help the OP?

• Advertisement

Hi,

no salary was ever quoted on any of my employer letter, nor will it be.

Your right it doesn't have to be. And it would be entirely your own choice to provide such details, or not.

But I think the point others were making is that in some areas in today's market, adding a bit of meat to the bones helps you stand out a bit more from others ie the ones that don't have any more than the bare necessities on their reference, or no reference at all.

Also most LL's will need to ensure at some stage of the process that a tenant can meet the rent and will more than likely need to see some evidence that they can, be it P60 or wage slip or bank account where wages are paid in.

In such cases failure or refusal to do so is no skin off the LL's nose, they just go to the ones that do provide such details.

Some here will argue that references are totally unnecessary as they can be fabricated ect. Most of those can argue such, as they do not currently require accommodation or are in a market where LL's are not be so picky. (Silly argument really as if a LL is looking for such references then there is every chance they will be checking them.)

But if you are not in that situation and need accommodation then surely putting your best foot forward from the off is a good thing?

In a few years time, as it was a few years ago, the market will change and LL's may not be so particular, but in today's this is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

Are you suggesting that the OP bring their boss with them? If not then what was the point of this post, as in how does it help the OP?

So what do you have to offer this was real event and is a reflection of how supply has all but dried up the op is on the receiving end of a govt who have fcuked over investors to exit this market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Your salary isn't personally identifying information, so is not subject to any particular Data Protection limitations.

A typical reference would go:

Personal data under the Data Protection Acts is information about an identified or identifiable individual. I think that salary is personal data and unless the person about whom the reference is written consents then salary shouldn't be included but they'd have to make a judgement call on whether this will cost them a property. This principles underlying this case study apply https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/EN/Case-Study-3-04-References-and-salary-details-disclosed-without-permission/c/260.htm. If the person gives the reference to the LL themselves there's no breach as they, rather than the employer, is releasing. A more privacy friendly approach would be for an employer to say that the salary will cover the stated rent although there is room for LL to wonder about rent + other living expenses. On the other hand, salary is not personal information if a person works for an FOI body. I still don't think it's good practice to include salary without consent though given Data Protection rights.

rossmores wrote: »
    So what do you have to offer

Punctuation and post 12

this was real event

No one said it wasn't, though your protestation is now putting a different light on things

and is a reflection of how supply has all but dried up the op is on the receiving end of a govt who have fcuked over investors to exit this market

Heh? The OP was looking for advice on what an employers reference letter should contain, not a rant. Again what do your posts offer in the way of help to the OP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Salary most certainly is personal data when it is relating to a living individual who is or can be identified either from the data or from the data in conjunction with other information that is in, or is likely to come into, the possession of the data controller.

From a case study issued by the DPC
    The details were name, role, line manager, details of previous employer, start date, starting salary, previous salary and previous job title.In no way should this information be released .

Advertisement