Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German wanting to incorporate in Ireland - do I need all these setup companies?

Options
  • 28-02-2018 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,
    I'm currently going freelance (I'm a video games consultant) and want to incorporate in Ireland for a variety of reasons (language, credibility to my mostly english speaking clients, tax). Because I want to be travelling and potentially living in places all over the world I can't be domiciled in Eire. Otherwise I will likely have to incorporate in Britain (Brexit! :( ) or Germany (about as fun as a cyanide smoothy)...
    When researching online, most of the information I can find is by companies who want to sell you virtual Irish offices and secretarial services to maintain the "Irishness" of the business. I cannot quite figure out whether this is needed and so I'm wondering if anyone of you experienced people here can give some valuable input.
    Would putting up the address of an Irish friend as the office headquarter suffice? Or does it need to be a "proper" office? Happy to do my yearly company meeting there over a few pints.
    Is it actually being checked whether the secretary lives in Ireland all the time or could it be an Irish friend who like me is travelling mostly?

Thanks for answering!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

To incorporate a company in Ireland, you need a registered office in Ireland. That's it. It's not necessary that the company directors be Irish, or that they meet in Ireland. The registered office does not have to be a premises exclusively available to you; it can be any premises whose owner/occupier is happy for it to serve as your registered office. It's often the premises of the company formation agent you use to incorporate your company.

However, if you want your company to be resident in Ireland for tax purposes (including for the purposes of most double tax treaties with other countries) then the company does need to be run in Ireland. This still doesn't require that the directors should be Irish citizens, or Irish residents, but it does require that they should actually conduct the business of the company in Ireland. Meetings should be held here; significant decisions should be taken here; etc.

Advertisement