Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident - confidence knocked

Options
  • 27-02-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Last night I had an accident, I reversed into a pillar and my back bumper is now in bits. I have done all my 12 lessons and I was confident enough driving until this. I bought an opel adam 141/1.4, probably not the best car to be driving as a first but I absolutely loved it when I first seen it.

I will have to carry out more lessons but I wanted to ask how you build your confidence back up after you panicked and pressed the wrong pedal. I get really stressed now thinking of getting back behind the wheel but I don't want my car sitting outside when I worked so hard to get it and repair it. HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Firstly, don't worry - look at the amount of crash repair centres there are up and down the country. It would have been worse if you'd hit a shiny new Merc. Avoiding a tip is something that most people don't avoid forever. Driving is a skill that you have to work to develop.

It's all a learning experience and you've just proven you have a weakness here. You have to get back on the horse and geek a bit on your reversing and create some exercise that helps you engage with this area. I suggest getting something like an empty wheelie bin and bumping up against it until you get a better sense of the parameters of the car.

You are not feeling anything that thousands and thousands of people haven't felt before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Don’t worry you’re head about it and be glad that the pillar won’t be following you for a whiplash after his mates in the pub convince him it’s handy money.
    Them type of accidents can happen anyone.id not even torture yourself calling it an accident call it a tip.just take your time and enjoy your driving.turn off the radio put on your belt and listen to the car and get a good feel for it.even experienced drivers take a day or two to tune in to a new car feel.they all handle different.look around you plenty before you get in and be plenty observant behind the wheel.
    Forget about it and move on.back up on the horse when you fall off it.happens everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I definitely don't think you should be less confident, I would be more concerned if it were a on-road accident. My dad has been driving for 20+ years now and recently reversed into a pillar in our driveway. It happens to everyone, even the experienced!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The Opel Adam is a perfect learner car. Small and nimble. These things happen, and you'll learn from your mistake. Perhaps you need to be more comfortable with your car, it shouldn't really happen that you press the wrong pedal. More time driving with an instructor is the best advice I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Inoyton

Every driver at some point hits something when reversing. Nothing to be ashamed of. You will be twice more careful next time. Cheer up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Op, did you really hit the wrong pedal or did you just mess up a manouver?

Either way it's a cheap lesson. You didn't hit a person, and you're less likely to do it again.

Be aware of your surroundings even before getting into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KeiraDave

I really did hit the wrong pedal, my sister was with me and told me to stop suddenly I panicked and pressed the gas by accident, I knew straight away what I did. It could of been a lot worse but I'm just annoyed at myself for letting it happen.

Advertisement