Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router or mesh

Options
  • 27-02-2018 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

3500-4000 sq ft bungalow.
    Solid walls throughout.

Lots of blackspots..

Eircom extreme broadband..
    Eircom modem, power link adapter, zyxel router...
    On the 300mbs package..
    Useless broadband..
    Lucky to get 10megs in most of house..

Should i buy a mesh system like Orbi ac3000
    Or a good router like netgear x10

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You actually have excellent broadband (FTTH, nice) but poor wifi.

Generally I advise people to try a good AC1900 router first, buy it from somewhere with an easy returns policy, try it out and see how it goes, return it if not good enough.

However your place being a bungalow and that big, then I suspect that you probably are closer to needing a mesh system then most people in a typical semi-d.

Just checked the price of that x10, £400! complete waste of money, yes, three Orbi for the same price will probably give you overall far better performance.

BTW if you can run ethernet to the locations in your home, that would give you better performance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bungalows are pretty much always a 2 and up job.

A. Buy a decent AP and run ethernet 2/3 the way down the house to it (through attic)
    B. Eero/Google Wifi/Orbi

Advertisement