Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware - Eir charging for modems after account ceased

Options
  • 27-02-2018 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Funnily enough, I got charged roughly €60 on February 1st, just noticed it on my bank statement. But I had cancelled with them two months ago after joining Vodafone Fibre. Told them I sent back the modem, as I don't know why I was sent it in the first place.

Is this happening to everyone who cancelled, that has yet to check their bank statement. Obviously, if you have cancelled, this wouldn't come up on a bill, as the account has now ceased. So, whoever has recently cancelled, I recommend checking you bank statements with DD EIR as the title.

Perhaps I should contact ComReg and let them know about unauthorized direct debits from Eir.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I got charged roughly €60 on February 1st, just noticed it on my bank statement. But I had cancelled with them two months ago after joining Vodafone Fibre. Told them I sent back the modem, as I don't know why I was sent it in the first place.

Is this happening to everyone who cancelled, that has yet to check their bank statement. Obviously, if you have cancelled, this wouldn't come up on a bill, as the account has now ceased. So, whoever has recently cancelled, I recommend checking you bank statements with DD EIR as the title.

Perhaps I should contact ComReg and let them know about unauthorized direct debits from Eir.

When you cancelled your eir account did you not also cancel the DD with your bank?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Check the T&Cs of your contracts. I recently seen a post on the eir forum about a netopia router. The rep requested it to be sent back even though the T&Cs at the time eir were suppling these (2004-2010) never said anything about returning the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theBOFH

Cheers for the heads up. This reminded me to follow up on this as I have cancelled recently too.

The worst thing is the following

“What to do

If there is a credit owed on your account, this will be applied to your next bill.

If however credit is owed on your final bill after your contract with us has ended, you will need to contact our customer support team.”
    https://www.eir.ie/support/billing/billing-refund/

That should not be allowed, they are hoping people forget about money being owed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Don't know if this would work but maybe ask your bank for a direct debit refund (under SEPA rules). It might have to be the exact amount of the direct debit so if the refund amount doesn't match that figure, it might not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

... I got charged roughly €60 on February 1st, just noticed it on my bank statement...

If it was a SEPA DD which it almost certainly was - you have 8 weeks from debit date to request a refund from your Bank and your bank is obliged to refund - no questions asked.
    Once you have the funds back you can argue the toss with EIR or should I say Eir can argue the toss with you... :D
    Here are links to Ulster, BOI and AIB for refund claims
    https://help.bankline.ulsterbank.ie/help/other_services/sepaddo/eur_dd_refund
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/refund-direct-debit-payment.pdf
    https://aib.ie/content/dam/aib/personal/docs/help-and-guidance/dd-refund-form.pdf
    ...Perhaps I should contact ComReg and let them know about unauthorized direct debits from Eir.

No offense to ComReg but I doubt they will refund your funds. Just get your money back from your bank. It is a simple process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement