Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipped powder coated rim

Options
  • 26-02-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I recently got my rims powder coated but have managed to get a chip on one wheel is there any quick easy and painless way to fix or hide/disguise it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That sucks. Touch it up with paint is all you can do. Just seal it up with a couple of applications of an enamel or similar with a brush of the same colour to prevent corrosion lifting any more of it away. I have white wheels on my bike and i know I'll have to coat them at some stage or other and unfortunately, powder is just more prone to chips than paint. Is it very bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

It’s not massive but needless to say when it’s a fresh job and you know it’s there you see it all the more. Where would I get enamel paint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any hardware shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

endacl wrote: »
    Any hardware shop.
    Or a model shop. (No, I mean Airfix models.) Good colour selection, small cheap tins.
    Don't bother looking in the big toy shops on the high street. These days children seem to have moved-on from the simple pleasures of building models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Goose81

uisce33 wrote: »
    I recently got my rims powder coated but have managed to get a chip on one wheel is there any quick easy and painless way to fix or hide/disguise it.

Don't use enamel paint ffs, they are nice new rims. Do the job properly.

What's the colour?

If you can buy it off the shelf buy aerosol and spray it into the cap to get a bit of liquid and use a modelling brush to apply it delicately just filling the chip and build it up. if it's a custom colour then go to a painter and get him to make you some paint

Once finished do the same with some clear, if you do it carefully it should be perfect

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

Bottle of Nail polish in a similar colour might be another cheap option.

That idea did cross my mind.

Cheers

Goose81 wrote: »
    Don't use enamel paint ffs, they are nice new rims. Do the job properly.

What's the colour?

If you can buy it off the shelf buy aerosol and spray it into the cap to get a bit of liquid and use a modelling brush to apply it delicately just filling the chip and build it up. if it's a custom colour then go to a painter and get him to make you some paint

Once finished do the same with some clear, if you do it carefully it should be perfect

Thanks I’m going to try this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....it's actually something I've changed from, over time: powder coating. It chips too easy. I've gone back to painting, even for rims. More durable, and more easily touched up.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

galwaytt wrote: »
    .....it's actually something I've changed from, over time: powder coating. It chips too easy. I've gone back to painting, even for rims. More durable, and more easily touched up.

I dislike it on engines and frames because the build height affects the way things fasten to it.
    In fact I don't have any powdercoated stuff at all.
    If I wanted a durable and good looking finish I think I'd be looking at cerakote.
    Expensive but thin and very robust, it was designed for firearms so bike bits aren't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've used Hammerite aerosols before and been amazed with the finish, coverage and durability. It's so compliant to use too. I painted my forks in hammered silver in 2015 and it still looks like it was applied last week. It's expensive and takes a VERY long time to fully cure but I'm always amazed by it. I painted wheels in the 'smooth' (gloss) black and it was very successful. I've never used it on engines or anything like that (I'm assuming it wouldn't be appropriate but never looked into it). I might try the Simoniz tough paint next time and give it a whirl.

Advertisement