Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel Driveway Costs - Clueless!

Options
  • 26-02-2018 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Looking to get a gravel driveway laid in the next month or so. Have a chap coming in to grade all the land and level it so whoever is doing the driveway will have a clean slate to start with.

The area works out as 440 foot long & 20 foot wide, or 135 meter long and 6 meter wide.

My question is, is a layer of 804 and then a layer of decorative gravel on top good enough? obviously with both being compacted with a vibrating roller.

If so, how thick should I aim to have the 804 layer & then how thick should I have the gravel layer?

THanks for any help...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01.htm#drive

Re: thickness of 804, depends on what's underneath. The softer the sub-grade the more 804 you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jbe

Thanks Lumen,

It's good ground underneath, nice and solid & has a good run off to a soak pit at the end so no drainage issues.

For ok land would 5 cm of 804 suffice? Or is this far too little/much?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jbe wrote: »
    Thanks Lumen,

It's good ground underneath, nice and solid & has a good run off to a soak pit at the end so no drainage issues.

For ok land would 5 cm of 804 suffice? Or is this far too little/much?

No way is that enough. It'll break your heart!

That pavingexpert site recommends 100-150mm compacted, at 3.5-5sqm/tonne, so 160 tonnes minimum for your job.

804 is relatively cheap in bulk loads, but this is a big job.

Is it really worth getting two contractors in? Seems a better idea to get just one quote.

Advertisement