Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few from recent days

Options
  • 26-02-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. After having a bad run of attempts at imaging galaxies, I realised that the CMOS ASI camera just wasn't up to the job of guiding through an OAG. I was getting too much random noise along with low SNR on even the brightest of stars. This was causing very erratic guiding with the star 'lock' jumping from star to noise. Not to mention the fact that it was very difficult to locate a guide star and keep the intended target in frame.

So, I decided to go for the Lodestar x2 guidecam. Wow, what a difference! Fantastic SNR, even through the OAG, and always a guidestar in frame when I get onto the target. Highly recommended as a guidecam.

Got onto M81 last week and got some super smooth guiding with 0.46 arcsec average error. 8)

After many poor attempts at processing, I'm finally happy with the results (although there is still an LP gradient in the image). I had to create new bias and dark libraries, the old ones were 5 years old and the nosie signature on the old DSLR has surely changed in that time.

Here's M81 with 5hr 10m integration, made up of 31x 600s subs.
    (Click on the image to see more technical data)

41SNoC8SL6WR_620x0_6B0I5F_d.png

Now, with the ASI120 dismounted from the parfocal OAG setup, it's free to be used as a planetary (solar/lunar) camera. I've been experimenting with a 2.5x powermate when the chance arises;

tBOUNjAboqDX_620x0_6B0I5F_d.png

And, of course, I still can't resist those DSLR moon shots;

UYQzb7AW91of_620x0_6B0I5F_d.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Very nice indeed

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Very nice indeed

Thankyou Richard. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. =]

Advertisement