Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Shoes

Options
  • 25-02-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

Little advice would be appreciated. 14 months ago I was 19 and a half stone weight and couldn't walk with discs out in my back. I've got down to the just under 15 stone and took up cycling in November to help with the cardio that a man of 40 should be getting.

I have a decent bike for starting off with with a giant rapid 3 but will probably get something better this year.

Issue I have is with footwear..I don't have proper footwear and not sure what I should get. I'm doing about 75k per road trip and I'm having difficulty with numbness in my feet after about 35k. I'm assuming it down to not being on the bike as long as many others and that with more time and distance it will go, but I'm in no doubt my footwear isn't helping.

What cycling shoes should I look out for and any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that numbness recent? as in, is that during cold weather? it might be worth trying neoprene overshoes if so, to eliminate sheer coldness as a factor.

apart from that, when you say you don't have proper footwear - are you just using normal flat pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

As MB said, is it a cold numbness? With the weather recently, any kind of well ventilated shoe, cycling, running or whatever, will allow the feet to cool quite quickly, and could lead to that numbness, in which case overshoes will help.

If it's more a squeesing, these shoes are too tight numbness, you need to then change your shoes. Not all shoes are created the same though, and what works for one may not work for others, with varying lengths, widths, arches and so on.

If it a change of shoes job needed, are you going proper cycling shoes with cleats/clipless pedals, or are you staying with flat pedals and running shoes? Either way, you may need to spend a bit of time in a bricks and mortar shop, trying on shoes and really thinking about how they feel, as in do you feel squashed in them, or do they feel overly loose and not supportive. Remember, that your normal size is a guide, but you may need to try above and below that size too to find the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

is that numbness recent? as in, is that during cold weather? it might be worth trying neoprene overshoes if so, to eliminate sheer coldness as a factor.

apart from that, when you say you don't have proper footwear - are you just using normal flat pedals?

I'm using a pair of rather ordinary light trainers.. ones that won't get caught in the tow clips on the pedals. I dont have a proper pair of cycling shoes and don't want to grab the first pair I see

I'm not certain if its cold numbness as i was out last Saturday and the weather was quite mild but still had the numbness and it's always usually my right foot rather than my left that has It, I suspect it's perhaps a poor technique I have in pedalling?

Sorry for sounding rather ignorant. That's because i am!

If it a change of shoes job needed, are you going proper cycling shoes with cleats/clipless pedals, or are you staying with flat pedals and running shoes? Either way, you may need to spend a bit of time in a bricks and mortar shop, trying on shoes and really thinking about how they feel, as in do you feel squashed in them, or do they feel overly loose and not supportive. Remember, that your normal size is a guide, but you may need to try above and below that size too to find the right one.

Definitely a change of shoes required. Not sure do I need to get cleats or whatnot. Essentially I intend to gradually work up from 75k to the 100k, so spending that time on the bike I want to make it as comfortable as i can.

I will try getting a set of those neoprene overshoes, It sounds like a rational first step and won't go to waste

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doing 75k in a pair of trainers sounds like torture, i'm surprised it's taking 35k for the problem to appear. dedicated cycling shoes have much stiffer soles than normal shoes, which helps to eliminate pressure points and means the whole foot is supported on the pedal, not just the ball of the foot.
    neoprene overshoes may not be the best choice yet - they're designed to work with cycling shoes rather than normal shoes, and may impact how much of the sole of your shoe is visible to remain in contact with the pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Definitely a change of shoes required. Not sure do I need to get cleats or whatnot. Essentially I intend to gradually work up from 75k to the 100k, so spending that time on the bike I want to make it as comfortable as i can.

I will try getting a set of those neoprene overshoes, It sounds like a rational first step and won't go to waste

I'd go into a local bike shop and talk about getting some shoes and pedals. For the cycling you're doing it makes sense, and will be more comfortable. The sizing on cycling shoes can be a bit funny, so it is worthwhile trying some on first. A proper cycling shoe will be very stiff and give tonnes of support to your foot which should help prevent your toes from going numb!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I suggest you try Shimano SPD pedals with one side flat. These: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

With them, you have the option of clipping in on one side or using regular flat pedals on the other side.

For shoes, try something cycling specific so you can use the clip-in part. However, I recommend that you do not go for anything too stiff, since that might not go too well with your experience of numbness. Perhaps something along this touring shoes line: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mt3-spd-touring-shoes/

I'd go into a local bike shop and talk about getting some shoes and pedals. For the cycling you're doing it makes sense, and will be more comfortable. The sizing on cycling shoes can be a bit funny, so it is worthwhile trying some on first. A proper cycling shoe will be very stiff and give tonnes of support to your foot which should help prevent your toes from going numb!

LET'S FIGHT! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Raam wrote: »
    LET'S FIGHT! :D:D:D

Haha. This will depend on the individual, it's hard to say really. It's worth trying a few pairs on and asking someone in the shop what they think. I found the stiffer soles worked better for me anyway.

I was thinking to avoid going too stiff, but definitely go cycling specific to get more stiffness than regular trainers.

• Advertisement

I wear touring style/mtb shoes with recessed cleats on double sided pedals on my road bike. You get the stiffer soles, no having to worry about getting the pedal the right way up and clipping in, I can clip in both sides and you can walk around comfortably in them. Plus I can use them on flat pedals too for days I've the wee one on my old work horse bike or running errands.

Best bet is to take a look at whats on offer in the local bike shop, I was really worried about clipless in terms of what would I do if I had to stop suddenly and my feet got stuck etc but it's second nature after a few tries. Also if going clipless the lbs will fit the pedals and set your cleats up to suit you properly too. Something I'd really recommend 1st time out.

The biggest reason I went with this is I really hate how proper road bike shoes look :o

Oh @OP fair f'n play to you, I've a lot of respect for anyone who gets up and does something to improve their lifestyle 4 stone is no joke of an effort to shed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Haha. This will depend on the individual,
    1t's OK - he's a bit of a wimp....

:pac:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go to the bike shop this week and check out shoes and pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go to the bike shop this week and check out shoes and pedals.

I got these last year. I think they would be ideal for what you want in tandem with the double sided pedals. Easy to clip in, very comfortable to walk in, easy to open and close, fairly stiff soled, good reviews and not too ugly.

Out of stock in chain reactions but available elsewhere.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m065-mtb-spd-shoes-2017/rp-prod127708

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I got these last year. I think they would be ideal for what you want in tandem with the double sided pedals. Easy to clip in, very comfortable to walk in, easy to open and close, fairly stiff soled, good reviews and not too ugly.

Out of stock in chain reactions but available elsewhere.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m065-mtb-spd-shoes-2017/rp-prod127708

I've seen these in halfords for about 70 euro.

Advertisement