Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI club affiliation and individual club membership query

Options
  • 25-02-2018 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all, does anyone know if members of a CI affiliated club must also be members of CI? I've been told by someone that they don't but I've always believed that member of a CI affiliated club must also have appropriate CI membership personally. 

Thanks in advance
    Peter

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Many clubs also have IVCA members, and indeed some who are members of both organisations. I think "non-cycling" members can also be accommodated, but anyone taking part in club spins need relevant insurance, and I think that's currently only that provided by CI or the IVCA

Just to add, the 3 nominated "officers" (Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary) must be CI member as should be the safeguarding officer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Also worth keeping in mind that you pay a bit towards the club when you're affiliated afaik. If you're regularly taking part in club spins then you should be affiliated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Our club is CI affiliated and all club members must also take out a CI Licence.
    This provides Public Liability and Personal Accident Insurance when on club spins.
    This would be a rule in all CI affiliated clubs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

rayman1 wrote: »
    This would be a rule in all CI affiliated clubs.
    It's not - CI recognise that IVCA members may also be members of CI affiliated clubs and take part in their spins (but CI licences are required for racing)

The club still benefits from public liability insurance for any incidents on club sanctioned spins (although IVCA members do not have that cover at a personal level)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Beasty wrote: »
    It's not - CI recognise that IVCA members may also be members of CI affiliated clubs and take part in their spins (but CI licences are required for racing)

The club still benefits from public liability insurance for any incidents on club sanctioned spins (although IVCA members do not have that cover at a personal level)

Just to confuse the issue more, are British Cycling members covered for insurance if they come out with an Irish club on an occasional basis? I'm thinking of an ex member home for a visit who might still have a bike in the parents house.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Just to confuse the issue more, are British Cycling members covered for insurance if they come out with an Irish club on an occasional basis? I'm thinking of an ex member home for a visit who might still have a bike in the parents house.
    3 spins as a "guest" provided they sign-on for the spins. Think they would need to confirm the position with CI and/or BC for anything beyond that

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pab01

Thanks all for replies, CI website doesn't make it clear if they insist (IVCA, visiting cyclists etc aside) on members off affiliated clubs also holding CI membership or if they are insured themselves then it doesn't matter. Personally I'd be shocked if CI didn't insist. I've been told by someone in club that personal CI membership isn't required and apparently some club members may have taken British Cycling membership despite being permanently resident in Ireland because its slightly cheaper. Wouldn't like to think of the mess should there be an accident, especially with third party.

pab01 wrote: »
    I've been told by someone in club that personal CI membership isn't required and apparently some club members may have taken British Cycling membership despite being permanently resident in Ireland because its slightly cheaper. Wouldn't like to think of the mess should there be an accident, especially with third party.
    I have BC membership, but not a BC racing licence, as I can only hold that via the federation of my residence (and I have CI, IVCA and LVRC memberships also)

However BC insurance does not cover anyone resident in the ROI. Even if they paid for it they are not covered.

Advertisement