Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 modchip installation

Options
  • 25-02-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Does anyone in Ireland do it?

Seems like fairly complex work so I know I'd probably **** it up.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember back in the day it required a micro soldering station and was fairly complex. Look into installing the hard disk or usb exploit instead. Much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember back in the day it required a micro soldering station and was fairly complex. Look into installing the hard disk or usb exploit instead. Much handier.
    Can't play import discs with FMCB though. Only reason I'm thinking of installing a modchip really.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

sugarman wrote: »
    I installed a Modbo chip awhile ago, absolute pain in the hole and im no novice either when it comes to soldering.

If you want to play imports,

Either softmod it and play it from a rip. Which would give you faster loading times anyway.

Swap disc. Which isnt really convenient and will balls up your console over time.

Or just buy a second Jap console, they cost peanuts on ebay, prob even cheaper than a modchip!
    Can Japanese consoles play American games?

The cheapest I can find a Japanese console for on eBay is €73, and that doesn't include import fees. I can get a PAL console locally for a tenner.

EDIT: You'd also need a 100W+ stepdown converter, or a PAL PSU to swap in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Watch out for a TEST PS2 console.
    I've got one, as does Kerbdog, and they play all region PS and PS2 games.
    Probably pick one up for about €200.
    Pure gold.

And, they are in the large format OG PS2 casing, meaning that you can install a HDD for other shenanigans too, if you want to.

Or, alternatively, this.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sony-Playstation-2-Ps2-Slimline-Console-MULTI-REGION-Region-Free-NTSC-U-J-PAL/372040569993?hash=item569f589489:g:X-IAAOSwtfhYpFYs
    A pre-modded PS2 slim for €102

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Inviere

Have another think about the softmod with hdd adapter. Use Free McBoot, Rip your original import disc to hdd, and play from there. Added bonus of faster loading times and greatly reduces wear and tear on the consoles laser.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As said above if I want to play import discs I rip to a hdd and play that way. I've been through 3 PS2 consoles which had to be midden each time. They use terrible components so with a mod chip you can be unlucky and have the laser fail very quickly.

But it will fail eventually which is why a hdd is the better option.

Advertisement