Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unluckiest World Championship Finalist

Options
  • 25-02-2018 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭

Has to be Mike Gregory in the epic 1992 final.

Must have missed 3/4 doubles to win it and let Taylor win it in tie break leg.

Classic match that was.

Ah nostalgia :)

TbL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Dennis Priestley?

meeting Taylor in his pomp four finals out of five in the early PDC days - would've been a many more times world champ himself if not, probably

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

boomdocker wrote: »
    Dennis Priestley?

meeting Taylor in his pomp four finals out of five in the early PDC days - would've been a many more times world champ himself if not, probably

Yep that's true over the course of a career but Dennis was a World Champion, not sure many came as close as Gregory too actually winning but ultimately failing, maybe the BDO MeGeeney lad this year?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Controversial, but maybe Taylor against Barney in '07?
    Barney has rarely done anything since then to suggest it was anything other than a fluke performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Peter Manley. Unlucky he came up against Taylor in both the finals he got to.
    A shout out for Tony O'Shea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Did Kevin Painter have darts to beat Taylor, cannot remember if he did or not!

• Advertisement

raiders11 wrote: »

Don't remember him having a match double, but it was very close so he may have had darts to win it

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

raiders11 wrote: »

No he never had a dart at a double to win it.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    No he never had a dart at a double to win it.

Just checked he had 3 darts on 124 to win it!

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just checked he had 3 darts on 124 to win it!

TbL

Yeah he did but never had a shot at double. He has mentioned it numerous times in interviews that he never got a shot depiste it being so close and if he had he would have hit it! One hell of a final though.

Yeah he did but never had a shot at double. He has mentioned it numerous times in interviews that he never got a shot depiste it being so close and if he had he would have hit it! One hell of a final though.

Yep and Taylor missed D20, then D10 before hitting D5 to win it.

Still preferred the Gregory game for the sheer drama.

TbL

• Advertisement

The Barney Taylor 2007 final will always be my favourite. I was at it and it was in the circus tavern, a great venue and before darts was infested with gob****es in the crowd. An absolute epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sc86

i would loved to have gone to circus tavern for a wc game
    ally pally does not interest me

painter for me also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The Barney Taylor 2007 final will always be my favourite. I was at it and it was in the circus tavern, a great venue and before darts was infested with gob****es in the crowd. An absolute epic.

That's the greatest game in the history of darts.

There has been higher averages but for Barney coming over from the BDO as the four time champion, playing Taylor in his first PDC Worlds, there will never be a bigger occasion in darts imo.

People had been waiting 10 years to see those two go toe to toe in a world final.

Epic is the only word to describe it. Amazing you were at it, real bucket list moment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

mdwexford wrote: »
    That's the greatest game in the history of darts.

There has been higher averages but for Barney coming over from the BDO as the four time champion, playing Taylor in his first PDC Worlds, there will never be a bigger occasion in darts imo.

People had been waiting 10 years to see those two go toe to toe in a world final.

Epic is the only word to describe it. Amazing you were at it, real bucket list moment there.

Totally agree, think I told Kingp35 before in a different thread, green with envy, he was at it...
    That final leg, Taylor hitting a 180 n me thinking, ****e, but Barney comes back with another 180....probably the most important 180 he ever hit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Didn't Lloyd have Match darts v Barney in round 2 aswell? What a dross of a tournament it would have turned into if he converted

Advertisement