Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta struggling up steep hills

Options
  • 24-02-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

my mom drives an 04 Fiesta and I've been driving it every now and then over the last year as a learner driver. A month or two ago she complained of a loud noise in the car which was getting progressively louder over time and she also complained that the car simply wouldn't do more than 60km/h. She took it to her mechanic thinking it was an engine or clutch issue but he said it was only a bearing making the noise and it was no real problem. the speed issue went away at that point but the sound is still there.

Since then my Dad, my Mom and I have all driven the car and it's been fine but today going up a local hill the car struggled to push itself up. At full throttle in second gear doing somewhere around 20-35km/h, the engine was only doing about 1100 revs and the night before it accelerated fine up the hill and when I was driving on the flat or downhill it could reach normal speeds easily.

I really want to figure out what's wrong with it as I'm likely using the car for my driving test which is coming up in three weeks time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get it hooked up to a diagnostics. Possibly bring it to a different mechanic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cheekibreeki

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Get it hooked up to a diagnostics. Possibly bring it to a different mechanic too.

yeah she's bringing it to another mechanic to get rid of the engine maintenance light for the test anyways, I'll get her to make the mechanic take a proper look at it

Whoa there! The engine maintenance light you’re talking about is more than like an engine management light, ie the light that tells you something is wrong.
    You’ll need to fix the fault for the light to stay off. Resetting it is only a temporary measure, and if the fault remains the light will reappear.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Engine maintenance light or engine warning light?
    If the latter your mechanic should have done a diagnostic test. In this case steer clear of that mechanic again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

OP I'm guessing the noisy bearing you refer to is a wheel bearing. That should be changed it could become a danger down the line.
    It's hard to make out from your description but the lack of power could be a coil pack. I'm assuming here it's a petrol engine

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Whoa there! The engine maintenance light you’re talking about is more than like an engine management light, ie the light that tells you something is wrong.
    You’ll need to fix the fault for the light to stay off. Resetting it is only a temporary measure, and if the fault remains the light will reappear.

you're right, I meant the engine management light haha. Our local mechanic said it was an error with a sensor but we'll see what the other mechanic has to say

OP I'm guessing the noisy bearing you refer to is a wheel bearing. That should be changed it could become a danger down the line.
    It's hard to make out from your description but the lack of power could be a coil pack. I'm assuming here it's a petrol engine

yep, it's a wheel bearing. He told us that I think but said it wasn't urgent.
    and yeah, it's a petrol engine and I was thinking it might've been something to do with the spark plugs because the engine power seems to have decreased recently

you're right, I meant the engine management light haha. Our local mechanic said it was an error with a sensor but we'll see what the other mechanic has to say

Why didn’t he replace the sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Your mechanic don't seem to keen on fixing anything.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Your mechanic don't seem to keen on fixing anything.

Customer mightn’t be keen on spending the money too to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If it’s the engine management light the car may have gone into “limp mode” hence the lack of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

yeah she's bringing it to another mechanic to get rid of the engine maintenance light for the test anyways, I'll get her to make the mechanic take a proper look at it

Does an engine warning light mean a fail for the test? On my old focus the warning light was on for ages (cluster was going in and out) and it passed twice, just told the guy i'm aware and to ignore it

yep, it's a wheel bearing. He told us that I think but said it wasn't urgent. and yeah, it's a petrol engine and I was thinking it might've been something to do with the spark plugs because the engine power seems to have decreased recently

I'd get the bearing done. Is it long since it had a service

scudzilla wrote: »
    Does an engine warning light mean a fail for the test? On my old focus the warning light was on for ages (cluster was going in and out) and it passed twice, just told the guy i'm aware and to ignore it

Oh really? My current instructor told me that if the engine warning light's on the examiner just won't go in the car with you. Maybe it just varies on the examiner you get on the day
    I'd get the bearing done. Is it long since it had a service

I just want the car to work for the test really since it's not mine. If it's not an urgent issue I'll leave it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Oh really? My current instructor told me that if the engine warning light's on the examiner just won't go in the car with you. Maybe it just varies on the examiner you get on the day

I just want the car to work for the test really since it's not mine. If it's not an urgent issue I'll leave it :p

Apologies, didn't read last line of OP, thought you were on about NCT and not driving test, instructor is probably right then

I just want the car to work for the test really since it's not mine. If it's not an urgent issue I'll leave it

I think you might be better off using your instructors car for the test if that's possible

I think you might be better off using your instructors car for the test if that's possible

I agree with you, It's just that I have 2 lessons left to familiarise myself with her car if I choose to do it with hers. Chances are it's what I might end up running with in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The Fiesta does not sound to be in good enough condition for the test. God alone only knows what the tester will find wrong with the car when it comes to doing the test on the day of the test. A breakdown or dodgy engine power might put you in a fail situation even if you make all the right moves and the instructor might interpret a lack of power during a manouvre as a mistake on your part.

You will have enough stuff to worry about on the day of the test. Get a driving school car on the day.

Advertisement