Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different aero positions used by the pros

Options
  • 24-02-2018 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Watching back on the junior men's world championships, I noticed they adopt different aero positions. According to the commentator, some put their arms over the tops to hold the between the brakes and drops while others adopt a blank form over the tops. But what other ways are there to get aero if you're out on your own on quiet roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Watching back on the junior men's world championships, I noticed they adopt different aero positions. According to the commentator, some put their arms over the tops to hold the between the brakes and drops while others adopt a blank form over the tops. But what other ways are there to get aero if you're out on your own on quiet roads?
    Please dont try the above in races .
    The best thing you could practice is long spins in the drops .
    And dont descend whilst straddling the top tube .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

AFAIK CI wont allow the 'elbows on the bars TT ' position.
    Hands must be on the bars at all times.
    Go and practice that!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to emphasise what sullzz just said. The pros do it because they have years of experience. If you're starting out any decent coach is going to instruct you to hold the bars properly, whether on the drops or hoods. You need to be able to access your brakes, and adjust your steering quickly and safely if needed and hanging your hands over the bars is not conducive to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

koutoubia wrote: »
    AFAIK CI wont allow the 'elbows on the bars TT ' position.
    Hands must be on the bars at all times.
    Go and practice that!

Even if you were somehow on your own coming into the last km? Sounds a bit unfair if you're well able to do it in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Even if you were somehow on your own coming into the last km? Sounds a bit unfair if you're well able to do it in training.

If your on your own off the back then yeah (but then its too late to be getting aero).
    But on your own off the front, on the front then its a no no.

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    Please dont try the above in races .
    The best thing you could practice is long spins in the drops .
    And dont descend whilst straddling the top tube .

In regards to sitting on the top tube, rule 24 covers this.

koutoubia wrote: »
    If your on your own off the back then yeah (but then its too late to be getting aero).
    But on your own off the front, on the front then its a no no.

Well then, how about I change this topic, more to suit CI rules... What are the best road legal ways to get aero?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your first priority when riding a bike should be the safety of yourself and others, not taking unnecessary risks just to win a race. I understand you are relatively new to the racing scene. I would suggest that if you want to take it seriously get a coach or experienced "mentor" to give you guidance. Winning is not the be all and end all - training and racing may be a means to an end, but not at the expense of your health/wellbeing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

In regards to sitting on the top tube, rule 24 covers this.

The rules are more like guidelines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnGDQ7Rk-pQ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well then, how about I change this topic, more to suit CI rules... What are the best road legal ways to get aero?

Work on your flexibility and stretch, stretch, stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Or just ride in the drops. Perfectly aero and indeed what they are designed for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Bear in mind that when you come to the finish, if you fancy throwing your arms in the air in victory, it is quite likely that you will be disqualified. I know it's a slightly different issue - but how you hold your handle bars, from start to finish, is something worth practicing and something that Commissaires, race organisers and fellow racers have strong opinions upon.
    Speaking of which, if you plan on resting your elbows on the tops while getting 'aero' in a fast moving open race bunch, expect a well deserved severe warning from those around you. I have seen close up carnage caused by this idiotic carry on.
    I'm sure you won't be doing it of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

You lads are forgetting that this young chap intends on being out on his own after attacking the race. That's when he wants to be as aero as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You lads are forgetting that this young chap intends on being out on his own after attacking the race. That's when he wants to be as aero as possible.

Ah right.
    Stephen Roche is widely regarded as one of the most stylish and classy cyclists of all time; great time trial rider too. Brilliant from a very young age.
    Replicating his technique etc would be a good starting point. Some old YouTube videos maybe could show the gist of it. And yes- riding in the drops most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Beasty wrote: »
    The pros do it because they have years of experience.
    And an exceptionally strong core to be able to hold the position efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

this position is better than the puppy paws thing and safer. and that lad has won a few races!
    ED1.jpg

Advertisement