Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G5S Plus

Options
  • 24-02-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Looks like great value on amazon.de @ €219 (£275 in amazon.co.uk) and when I went to buy it price was reduced to €184 :D

Looks to be great value in the whole Moto G5S range on amazon.de as compared to anywhere else, G5S @ €142!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Firblog wrote:
    @ €219 (£275 in amazon.co.uk) and when I went to buy it price was reduced to €184

Weird, it's 219e for me. Still not a bad deal at that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Any link to the G5S at that price? Can only find the G5 :(

Any link to the G5S at that price? Can only find the G5

The link is in the first post :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got one from Amazon Italy for XMas, savage battery life, no complaints so far

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

tedpan wrote: »
    The link is in the first post :D

Thanks, sorry I tried the second link but it just went to the homepage and noticed the first one links to a product called "Lenovo Moto G5 Smartphone (5.0 Inch), 16 GB, Android)" which confused me a bit. I presume it is definitely the G5S and not the G5 in spite of the title? Also, shows as €169 for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

What's the difference between the g5s and g5s plus besides size?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What's the difference between the g5s and g5s plus besides size?
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8698&idPhone2=8699

Other than screen/body size, the cameras (dual 13MP on the Plus vs single 16MP / 8MP front facing vs 5MP), the CPU (2.0 vs 1.4), and the GPU (Adreno 506 vs Adreno 505).

Same storage, RAM, and battery. Though you could argue having to run a larger screen and CPU with the same battery capacity is a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Firblog wrote: »
    Looks like great value on amazon.de @ €219 (£275 in amazon.co.uk) and when I went to buy it price was reduced to €184 :D

Looks to be great value in the whole Moto G5S range on amazon.de as compared to anywhere else, G5S @ €142!

When I translate the web page there is an option for second hand at €186, is the phone you purchased at €184 definitely new?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Coming up at €234 for me or €226 to PW address.
    Have the G4S+, just went to purchase page for curiosity.

sugarman wrote: »
    The link in the first post bring you to both, you've to select between the G5s and G5s Plus.

Thanks I noticed that but even when I click G5S the title above still shows as "Lenovo Moto G5 Smartphone (5.0 Inch), 16 GB, Android)" though - not Moto G5S - just made me a little uncertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Firblog

Have ordered 3 of them now (none shipped yet), and went to double check newness/price etc today given the doubts raised here. When I went to the check out where the lower price shows, I wasn't allowed to purchase another as there are limits on the number I can buy @ €184.00.

The G5S is definitely showing @ €149.84 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's probably that you have your VAT# registered on amazon? It's showing as this for me (see attached).

So is this the right deal in my basket? I heard there were a few issues with the Moto G5 and there's a lot of different models and some have issues, is this a reliable one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I like this phone, it suits me.

Just a word of warning, the camera on the G5S Plus is not good. I upgraded from an LG Nexus 5 and this is years behind that.

No compass pointer either, GPS shows a precise location, but not the direction the phone is facing. That might drive some folk barmy.

If ordering from the Amazon EU sites, you'll be sent a two prong plug, but the OS boots in English, on first use.

No heat issues, runs like silk for what I need, has an FM radio and a headphone jack. Happy overall, but that camera.. yuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

cormie wrote: »
    It's probably that you have your VAT# registered on amazon? It's showing as this for me (see attached).

So is this the right deal in my basket? I heard there were a few issues with the Moto G5 and there's a lot of different models and some have issues, is this a reliable one?

How do you do to get it at that price? I can only get this:
    Order Summary
    Items: EUR 226,36
    Postage & Packing: EUR 7,97
    Order Total: EUR 234,33

Thanks,
    OD

You need to have a valid VAT# I believe, so it would need to be a purchase for business. Once you register a valid VAT#, it gives you the EX VAT price for any purchases within the EU an outside of Ireland.

EDIT: This will only apply to items SOLD BY Amazon!

Still not sure to get this or not as I heard there's a lot of different G5 models and some are better than others and not sure if this is one of the good ones?

Some good info on the last page of this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057762376&page=6

There seems to be 16 different variations of the Moto G5! I think there's a G5 S plus with 4gb ram and 64gb internal memory and dual sim and ext memory expandable to 256gb, I think this one is 3gb ram, 32gb int mem, and expandable only to 128gb with only one sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

You need to have a valid VAT# I believe, so it would need to be a purchase for business. Once you register a valid VAT#, it gives you the EX VAT price for any purchases within the EU an outside of Ireland.

EDIT: This will only apply to items SOLD BY Amazon!

Still not sure to get this or not as I heard there's a lot of different G5 models and some are better than others and not sure if this is one of the good ones?

Some good info on the last page of this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057762376&page=6

There seems to be 16 different variations of the Moto G5! I think there's a G5 S plus with 4gb ram and 64gb internal memory and dual sim and ext memory expandable to 256gb, I think this one is 3gb ram, 32gb int mem, and expandable only to 128gb with only one sim?

Oh I see. Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Down to €216.48 now + PW delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Firblog

First one ordered landed today, Brand new, sealed box. 2 pin EU fast charger.

Is the camera really as bad as they say?

Is it 3gb ram, 32gb int mem, and expandable only to 128gb?

Thinking of going for the G5S at €169 from amazon.de - prefer the smaller size and I know there is a better processor on the plus, but I only really use it for email and spotify so I reckon you would not notice much difference. Not worth paying 20% more for, especially when the size is a factor too. If you are a heavy user I could see how it would be an advantage though.

Camera does get very bad reviews but I guess for the price you can't expect too much. Delighted to see it had a headphone jack (I know, I am so 2005)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have it, camera fine, not the best in dark light but rarely use it so, crystal clear outdoors and well lit indoors, I used it at a party and it was fine, depth editor on the camera too which is handy

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Is there much or any bloatware on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Is there much or any bloatware on it?
    Any reviews I read say it only has a few useful Moto apps added, and gets fast updates to new versions of Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Any reviews I read say it only has a few useful Moto apps added, and gets fast updates to new versions of Android.

No bloat, camera is fine. They're virtually all the same nowadays. Reviews have to bitch about something.

Look at what's coming camera wise. This is a step up.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/technology/future-cameras-ai-brains.html?referer=https://getpocket.com/recommendations

Cool, I ordered it anyway for a family member and got this case off amazon.co.ulk then too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074VBTGSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is the camera really as bad as they say?

Is it 3gb ram, 32gb int mem, and expandable only to 128gb?

Camera is fine in daylight for regular shots.
    Colours are off under artificial lighting- and shots get very very grainy under poor light. Under sodium lights last night- I wasn't able to make out number plates- whereas they were perfectly legible with an old XVA.
    For every day use- its perfectly fine- but anything out of the ordinary- and it struggles.

You can get some perfectly decent shots- providing you don't step outside the box with it. Its not a replacement for a formal SLR.

Does this have NFC? I know it's region dependant, no mention of it on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

tedpan wrote: »
    Does this have NFC? I know it's region dependant, no mention of it on Amazon

Yes, Euro (XT1805) dual SIM models of the Moto G5S Plus have NFC. Works fine with Leap etc.

Listing below seems to suggest single SIM model also has NFC. Double check before purchase!

Some nice comparative listings here:

http://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/motorola-moto-g5s-plus-xt1803-32gb-vs-motorola-moto-g5s-plus-xt1805-32gb/6235764

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Has anyone gotten a screen replaced on this phone yet? I cracked mine over the weekend and the couple of shops that I brought it to said they didn't carry the screens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Has anyone gotten a screen replaced on this phone yet? I cracked mine over the weekend and the couple of shops that I brought it to said they didn't carry the screens.

Buy screen on eBay and let them do it?

Advertisement