Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if you could go back to when you were 21, would you.

Options
  • 24-02-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

so im in my early 30s and i had this debate with a few lads yesterday at work. if you could go back to when you were 21 would you do it and do things differently.

overall i dont think i would. i regret not doing the oz travelling and perhaps should have done more “damage” with the women in college but id say thats about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭gifted

Oh yes..yes .yes .yes..

Very much would have done so lot of things differently....work...move out of family home much younger......travelled a lot more....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,068 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cover my flute, didn't like her music

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

No way

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Yes. I'd be younger and less likely to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

beertons wrote: »
    Cover my flute, didn't like her music

Std?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So I'd be basically the same person I am now, except younger, fitter, healthier, will have fantastic opportunity to easily make a hell of a lot of money and effectively extended my lifespan by over 15 years?

I'd be nuts not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I wouldn't mind my looks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Specialun wrote: »
    so im in my early 30s and i had this debate with a few lads yesterday at work. if you could go back to when you were 21 would you do it and do things differently.

overall i dont think i would. i regret not doing the oz travelling and perhaps should have done more “damage” with the women in college but id say thats about it.

In my case, I don't think I had a choice in many ways. I was still very much 'in development' in my 20s and life kind of happened me rather than me deciding life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's a hard question to answer because let us say you could magically turn back the clock tomorrow. Would you still know what you do now or just be 21 again with the mental maturity slate clean?

Cause you'll just end up doing the same things you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Yep for sure. And I'd rule the world. Not that I regret my 20s, but I know so much now that I didn't then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I'm a month and two weeks away from turning 21, so uhh... I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

Wish me luck, because being 20 has been enough of a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yes, I would have left a toxic home life earlier than wasting so much energy trying to get an alcoholic person to seek help who clearly didn't want it. It took me until I was 29 to realise I needed to get away from it and escaped. I'd say most of my 20s were consumed by the energy I had to give to that person.

Depressing when I think of it. One saving grace is that I spent so much time on work to escape which has led me to be in the good situation I'm in today but still.

I will never get those years back and I would love to turn back the clock. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Infernum wrote: »
    I'm a month and two weeks away from turning 21, so uhh... I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

Wish me luck, because being 20 has been enough of a nightmare.

Want some advice?

What ever you want to do do it in your 20s otherwise when you hit 30 you will start feeling old.

On that subject tho I do belive age is all about prospective. A 30 year old can start feeling old but go speak to a 50 year and they'll tell you how old you really are :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Probably change my career choice.

Other than that, I think I'm good

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Definitely yes.

7jxv12Tl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

No, definitely not. I was engaged when I was 21 and married soon after. Wouldn't change it for the world.

I have a funny relationship with ageing but I'm really not sure. It certainly was a wonderful feeling to have the whole world open in front of me and my life like a blank canvas. I remember how exciting it all was. Mind you it's a matter of attitude and I could say the same about myself today, that a great adventure awaits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The boards website looked better back then..... something’s gone stale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Definitely. Had moved to London looking for work and was up to me balls in English fanny most weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Probably, but mainly to treat certain people a whole lot better than I did. I'm pretty OK with being the age I am now and being a better/more mature person!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

No, I am who I am (i sang that in my head) because of my experiences, good and bad. The knowledge I have now is because I didn't leave home earlier or leave my toxic family job sooner, I have a great bullsh!t detector and an understanding of people.
    I would however like to tell my younger self to have more confidence that I'm much better at what I do than I'm lead to believe.

I'd be scared that if I got a do over I wouldn't have my kids, (that was worth the sh!tty marriage) but if I went back without the knowledge, I wouldn't know any different, so would it matter.. ?
    19 was my year, that's how old I feel in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

No.

Im 29 now and I don't feel physically any older. Maybe look a bit older but I'm not that bummed about turning 30 even though it feels like the whole world thinks I should.

I did spend most of my twenties far away from my family and I do kind of regret that. I wish I'd spent more time with my parents but I'm back living with them at the moment so kinda makes up for it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭malinheader

Definitely yes. And head away this time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Perhaps. I had a fantastic summer in San Francisco when I was 21 and flung open my closet doors over there. Life was fun - it was college days - and pretty carefree and full of new experiences although I was a bit homesick and I’m a worrier anyway.

But I knew a lot less about life and people at 21 - I was very idealistic and not a little naive. And a bit gullible too.

My life has gone in twists and turns since then - my career took off between 23 and 33 - and although things have been very rocky since my early 30s with mental health and alcohol dependency issues, I’m now back on the right road as I rapidly approach the grand old age of 43.

So to answer, yes to being 21 again, but only for a week or two. I’m much wiser and far more mature now.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Had a great time in my early 20s, always regretted not sticking to playing ball but was impossible when I would be still out from the night before, then again slot of lads who played it back thenare crippled who stuck at it while I still enjoy the 5 a side

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Yes and no.

If I could go back to 21 knowing what I know now, I would, but if I could go back to being 21 and thus erasing all my experience in the years between, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Im 29 and overall I’m very happy with my life (except for the fact I’m sitting in a dentists waiting room about to have a tooth pulled). I would however go back to when I was 21 and put the money I got for my 21st birthday into bitcoin. Hold it until early December 2017. Sell it and become a billionaire. Other than that I’d still have made 90% of my life choices the same up to this point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Hmmm...

I'd certainly stand up for myself more and generally not let my stupid mind interfere with my ambitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yes.

Missed an episode of Eastenders and it's always bugged me.

Advertisement