Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE TEACHER PROBLEMS

Options
  • 23-02-2018 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Im a qualified FE teacher, I have an undergrad (BA hons) arts degree and I have postgrad Hdip level 9 from Marino Institute in Adult and Further education. I completed 100 hours teaching practice while on the course and previous to starting the course I had acquired 8 years on and off volunteer/unpaid teaching experience. One of the schools where I had done years of unpaid/volunteer teaching and also completed 40 hours of my teaching placement work experience had a job opening recently in my subject. I was working unpaid in the school at the time the job came up. Ive two issues 1. No member of staff informed me there was a job opening within the school in my subject. 2. They hired someone with an undergrad but no teaching qualifications at all, he hadnt even worked as a teacher in 5 years. I'm fuming. Its hard enough for teachers to find employment without being undermined by schools. Also if id known I didnt need any teaching qualifications to teach adults/further ed id not have bothered doing the HDip. Is this the norm? and are there any plans to regulate further ed teachers and qualifications? As it stands trained further ed teachers cant work in secondary schools limiting job options and available fe jobs are given to unqualified teachers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Bit confused - was the job in your field at FE level?
    If you were in the school anyway - unpaid or otherwise - did you not hear about it yourself? Why do you expect other staff members apart from the one leaving maybe to know any more than you did? (Unless you are there on a very limited basis)
    Have you asked for feedback from the interview- assuming you did one? It would be good for yourself to know where you fell down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Where you not keeping an eye on the websites for upcoming positions?

Advertisement