Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre purchase survey price

Options
  • 23-02-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey,

Quick question I need to get pre purchase survey done for detached house in co kildare, called into a few places everybody seems to be charging around 400e, seems a bit steep, any cheaper options out there, or somebody that you could recommend ?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Biggest purchase you’ll probably ever make..

Reason for cost:

- Vat
    - cost of surveyors insurance
    - travel/time
    - inspection time
    - report write up
    - discussion /emailing/follow up

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

BryanF wrote: »
    Biggest purchase you’ll probably ever make..

Reason for cost:

- Vat
    - cost of surveyors insurance
    - travel/time
    - inspection time
    - report write up
    - discussion /emailing/follow up

You might be just right, just worried about the actual competence of the surveyor, anyone you could recommend in the area ? obviously I would make sure they are fully certified and insured no questions asked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kk2014

Highly recommend Martin Murphy in Kilcullen, he did our survey before Christmas, it was around €420 I think inc. VAT but his report was so in depth and detailed and he discussed it with me on the phone when I had queries.

kk2014 wrote: »
    Highly recommend Martin Murphy in Kilcullen, he did our survey before Christmas, it was around €420 I think inc. VAT but his report was so in depth and detailed and he discussed it with me on the phone when I had queries.

I should give them a call to see what they offer, thanks for suggestion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seems cheap. In dublin it can be €500 plus vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Price seems a bit low alright.

You will have to bear in mind these surveys are very much surface 'visual' surveys with an expert opinion, i.e they will pick things out that you may not necessarily have seen. but they will be surface level only.

Most wont go into deep detail , but they are worth it if you are not competent in seeing things yourself.

Worth the money quoted definitely.

got through to a few more companies and yes 400e inc vat sounds very reasonable after all, as much competent I might be professional eye and knowledge won't do any harm especially on one of those one off rural buildings.

Thanks for replies ;)

Advertisement