Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average electricity cost

Options
  • 22-02-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi I am just wondering what everyone’s average electricity bill is to see if ours is reasonable. Size of house 2500 sq feet. 2 people and importantly have underfloor on both floors and hot water all the time. 3 rooms not in regular use so not much heating for them. Yearly bill 1400. Does this appear reasonable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

its mostly Lifestyle related. No chance to answer this without loads more info.

Do both people work away from the house; days/nights, how much washing , drying, showers, etc.
    Heating Gas/Oil/Electric/Solar. Insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

I have underfloor heating so temp in the kitchen stays the same regardless of whether people are away or not. 2 people so showers for 2 and don’t use the dryer. House is new house A3 rated at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Becks610 wrote: »
    I have underfloor heating so temp in the kitchen stays the same regardless of whether people are away or not. 2 people so showers for 2 and don’t use the dryer. House is new house A3 rated at least.

I am assuming it is a heat pump heating system? We were discussing electricity bills in work on Friday one of my colleagues is paying €1500 per year with a similar set up but he has two kids slightly bigger house, his wife is home from 2 each day.

Thanks for the reply. Yes similar set up and I am home at the moment too. The cost sounds about right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Have a look here, and move the slider to the right - per SEAI your costs are a touch high but not madly off:

https://www.seai.ie/energy-ratings/building-energy-rating-ber/

when you say heating is on all the time, what is the control setup like - do you have all the thermostats on max?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - a very handy thing. I will get more of an accurate cost in another 2 months . The first bill was very high ( I nearly died) due to the house drying out and also heavy tools been ran on it. We hadn’t moved in at that time and then for the following 2 months the system wasn’t fully commissioned- ie the thermostats hadn’t been fully set up.

I will keep an eye so cos really heat is only on in the kitchen/dining area ( also bathroom downstairs as for some reason this is operated using the same stat) and our bathroom which covers ensuite and walk in wardrobe.

Just a general note - when moving to all electric powered heating, people can be alarmed at the high cost of electricity, but bear in mind if you're comparing against gas heating the standing charge for gas that you're now avoiding.

Also, maybe considering night rate electricity might be worthwhile?

Thanks- the people who installed the ufh said not to move to night rate electricity. I have a friend who has so will ask them how they are getting on.

if you have a modern digital meter like this one: https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/meters-readings/how-to-read-your-meter/electronic-domestic-meters

you should be able to read your day and night time usage (even if your tariff is based on the 24 hour reading)

you can then plug the numbers into bonkers.ie to get a feel for whether 24 hour metering or day/night would be better for you

Advertisement