Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Connery

Options
  • 22-02-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭

Today at work I found myself attempting a Sean Connery accent for some reason, and that led to me wondering how he was doing. Coincidentally, just a couple of days ago, Catherine Zeta-Jones posted a picture of herself with Sean, from Entrapment, saying she had fond memories of working with him. That alarmed some people in to thinking something had happened to him, and CZ-J had to reassure them he was OK.

Still, he is 87, and if the picture in that article from a few months ago is any indication, not as strong as he was. I know there will come a day when the headline on BBC News tells us that Sir Sean Connery is no more, and I'm not looking forward to that day. For now, though he's now retired, I hope he gets to enjoy as much of that retirement as possible.

I don't suppose there's any point to this post other than my appreciation of a former sailor, coffin polisher, milkman and bodybuilder from Edinburgh who became an an unlikely action hero (as James Bond and in The Rock), an unlikely character actor (in The Untouchables and The Hunt For Red October), and an unlikely leading man (in Entrapment and Finding Forrester). One piece of trivia I only just learned about him is that he was a good footballer too, so good that Matt Busby offered him a contract to join the Manchester United squad, but by that time he already had his heart set on acting. Good decision. :)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Bodybuilder!

My God, I didn't know ... I did some investigating after reading that

enhanced-buzz-23030-1354215616-0.jpg?dow

https://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/sean-connery-in-mr-universe-competition?utm_term=.kxgjRGlb3#.najbPKgW0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

He was a great actor particularly late 80s gems such as The Last Crusade and The Untouchables, and of course Bond. And he aged exceptionally well up until recently when the years have finally caught up with him.

However, I lost some respect for him as a person when I saw the following interview about his attitude towards women (the very ending was edited by the uploader but his comments still stand):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0d1zTAFKA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He was a great actor particularly late 80s gems such as The Last Crusade and The Untouchables, and of course Bond. And he aged exceptionally well up until recently when the years have finally caught up with him.

However, I lost some respect for him as a person when I saw the following interview about his attitude towards women (the very ending was edited by the uploader but his comments still stand):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0d1zTAFKA

He is from a different time, he's hardly talking about battering them now is he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

He is from a different time, he's hardly talking about battering them now is he ?

Hitting a women is wrong, no matter what time he is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Didn't Michael Caine say a few years back that he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's or am I mistaken ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

They say he moved like a cat playing Bond. He made the first 5 Bonds in 5 years 62-67. No messing about, and so many iconic moments in cinema in those first 5 films.

They say he moved like a cat playing Bond. He made the first 5 Bonds in 5 years 62-67. No messing about, and so many iconic moments in cinema in those first 5 films.

Wow, that's impressive!

The Beatles were able to knock out 1+ albums every year around the same time period. Simpler times; just pick up your gear and go do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Weird OP, I heard a joke a few days ago

Knock Knock
    Who's there
    Dishes
    Dishes who?
    Dishes Sean Connery

^ Broke me up :D

I was younger at the time and I haven't seen it in a while, but I do recall him being eccentric and brilliant in Finding Forrester where he plays a reclusive author who helps a talented teenager from the projects.

Even typing that feels like a cliché but still, I remember it being a feel-good movie at the time, 7.3 on imdb so you're classic, middle of the road score.

Whatever about Bond - cult status for being in the 1996 classic The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He has a helper these days

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Didn't Michael Caine say a few years back that he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's or am I mistaken ?
    I thought I read that too, looked it up and Caine confirmed he never said that.  Article below is 5 years old now, so who knows how he is doing now 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sean-connery-does-not-alzheimers-2226896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Did Connery wear a wig in all the Bond films or just the later ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yep, he had a wig on for most, if not all, of the Bond films. Or, at least, a hair piece. I think he started to go bald in his late 20's.

I read somewhere that Hitchcock made him wear a wig for 'Marnie' and that was in 1964.

Connery, himself, never hid the fact that he wore one. I've seen interviews with him from the set of 'Diamonds are Forever' sans syrup. That was in 1971. When he returned in 1983 for Bond, he looked like this, off set.

Which was a far cry from this:

GW257H384

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Yeah, he did well for being a baldie.

Advertisement