Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling motor on lake boat

Options
  • 22-02-2018 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Has anyone used a trolling motor on a lake boat 17/19ft?

Was considering buying one to use for trolling and also to have as a backup on the boat.

Also if someone has used one was it mounted to the bow or transom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 electrichunter

i have one on done deal at 200 never used still in packaging search boat extras , got it for my own 19 ft sheelin but sold on boat no time , young family .

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

Has anyone used a trolling motor on a lake boat 17/19ft?

Was considering buying one to use for trolling and also to have as a backup on the boat.

Also if someone has used one was it mounted to the bow or transom?

I have used electric motors for the last 19 years, mainly on a lake that prohibits petrol outboards. I have attached them at the transom and find that that is the best mounting point when used in conjunction with a petrol outboard. (Better steering response).

The cheaper ones are not powerful enough to function as an auxiliary and it is my experience that they will propel the boat no faster than oars. They are, however, useful for sneaking up on fish and making adjustments to drifts.
    If you buy one get the biggest deep cycle battery you can carry. My 115 amp hour battery will do me for two days fishing without charging.

Advertisement