Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a double lightbulb switch with a single dimmer switch

Options
  • 22-02-2018 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

hey

Apologies, this might be too technical a question to answer without pictures or diagrams...

When I got my house wired I got 6 down lights put in the sitting room. The electrician wired a switch with 2 switches on it, each turn on and off 3 of the lights. This is a bit pointless so I want to change it for 1 dimmer switch. Is this a big wiring job i.e. is is something I could take on myself? I've asked 3 electricians so far, who all said they would come out to look at it, but none of them did. Its too small a job.

Also, can I install a dimmer switch on to any type of light? I want to pick up a pack of these this evening and change all 6 of them. What I have in at the moment are the old uneffeciant lights...

https://www.aldi.ie/led-mini-globe-bulb-gu10-4w-10-pack/p/083046202461001

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Make sure that whatever GU10 LED bulbs that you buy are dimmable - if you want to put a dimmer switch in to control them. The ALDI ones in the link are not dimmable AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

wait4me wrote: »
    Make sure that whatever GU10 LED bulbs that you buy are dimmable - if you want to put a dimmer switch in to control them. The ALDI ones in the link are not dimmable AFAIK.

thanks, I'll have a look at them in the store this evening...

actually, you are correct, they are not dimable...
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/light-bulbs/aldi-gu10-spotlight-35w

Same question still stands to any electricians who might know, I still want to replace a double switch with a dimmer switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

oxygen wrote: »
    thanks, I'll have a look at them in the store this evening...

actually, you are correct, they are not dimable...
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/light-bulbs/aldi-gu10-spotlight-35w

Same question still stands to any electricians who might know, I still want to replace a double switch with a dimmer switch

Its should be a simple job connection wise, no extra wiring is involved, just the combining of 2 switch wires together into one terminal of dimmer, and possibly feed and loop feed to be combined also into other terminal, if its not an end of line switch.

A picture of back of existing switch with wiring still connected and its easier for anyone who might want to explain.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

As said above its a simple job. You just need to make sure that if you are getting LED's that the dimmer switch is compatible with the LED's as not all of them are. You will most likely need a trailing edge dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into that over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Hey OP,

It can easily be done yes regarding converting two switches to 1, the problem is the dimmer. if you use a standard dimmer the LED GU10s will flicker. To solve this problem you have two options:

1. Use 5 LED bulbs and 1 halogen to hold the load of the dimmer.
    2. Buy a special LED dimmer e.g. a Varilight V Pro, little bit more expensive.

Advertisement