Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Erasmus for international secondary school students in Ireland

Options
  • 22-02-2018 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

A friend of a friend of mine in Italy has a younger brother, aged 15, planning to study for one academic year with a secondary school in Dublin through the Erasmus programme.

My friend was asking me about the difference in public and private schools in Ireland and whether there were any gaping differences. I told my friend that public secondary education in Ireland is free (not counting costs of books, uniforms etc.). My Italian friend then, through his research (I'm not sure what company he's using) came back to me and said that it would cost about €15,000 for his brother to attend a public secondary school in Ireland (he was looking at Ballinteer). The cost of private school is around €20,000.

This honestly shocked me and doesn't sound right at all. We deduced that the incredibly high cost must go towards paying the host family but even €15,000 for a nine month stay (39 weeks) is incredibly excessive, even for Dublin. Particularly as the student attending the school is an EU citizen.

Does anyone else have experience or knowledge about international secondary school students and why costs are so high for them? I'm sort of half asking for my friend so he's not being conned and half asking for myself out of curiosity because that a high a cost for public education / accommodation is bizarre to me.

If anyone could shed light, it would be great?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Northern lassie

Is your friend doing it through an agency? If so I'd say that's where the extra costs come from. The agency in Ireland who works with the Host Families and School gets a cut and maybe there's an agency in Italy who finds the Italian families so they get a slice. The Host Family would get the lions share but I'd say around €200 per week - could be a bit more in Dublin.

I host international students and have been doing so for a few years now and do it directly with the family and our local school. It evolved - from word of mouth. Our local secondary school is happy to host them and only charges them the same as an Irish school - about €200 per year. We're based in the South East. Let me know if you want any further details.

Advertisement