Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Extractor Fan

Options
  • 21-02-2018 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi. I want to fit an extractor fan with timer in my bathroom. I want to take the permanent live and neutral from the shower isolator switch. I will then also take another live from the isolator switch and connect it to a pull chord switch and then to the fan as the switched live. I know that you have to be able to isolate the shower and extractor fan separately. Does this arrangement satisfy that condition?
    This solution appeals to me because the shower circuit is RCD protected whereas the lighting circuit is not. I believe the lights in bathrooms should be RCD protected now but wiring was done some years ago.
    If I additionally fitted a 3A fused spur from the shower isolator would this satisfy safety regulations?
    Thanks in advance for any comments or help.
    Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

An electric shower must be on it's own from the shower to the fuseboad afaik. I don't believe that you can take a feed from the pull cord switch. Even if this was permitted only a REC can carry out this work afaik.

How about taking the live from the immersion? You are permitted to take a spur from the immersion and the immersion should be RCD protected too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

No, potentially a fire hazard 1.5mm^2 from a 32A circuit?

If you use an inline extractor fan you can avoid the RCD.

New circuit or local lighting for supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dermotx

Thanks Sleeper12 and Tuco88 for the replies.

If I use a fused spur with a 3A fuse it should take care of the problem of taking the feed from a 32A circuit?

dermotx wrote:
    If I use a fused spur with a 3A fuse it should take care of the problem of taking the feed from a 32A circuit?

Tuco88 knows a lot more than me as I'm not an electrician. I'm involved in shower repair.

I believe that it's illegal to take a spur off a shower, pull cord or fuse itself. I've been told that only the shower itself can be connected to the pull cord switch.

I was suggesting taking a spur off the the immersion as the immersion should be RCD protected. There may be better ways to do it but I believe you should rule out connecting it to the shower circuit. I'm happy to be corrected on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

You cannot spur off either the shower or immersion circuits

All electrical work carried out in the bathroom must be done by a rec only

Call a contractor

• Advertisement

Thanks for that meercat. Will do. I presume you meant "You cannot spur off either shower or immersion circuits". Just out of curiosity, I wonder why?

dermotx wrote:
    Thanks for that meercat. Will do. I presume you meant "You cannot spur off either shower or immersion circuits". Just out of curiosity, I wonder why?

You can spur off an immersion for a pump, shower etc. I assumed that a fan wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

dermotx wrote: »

Cheers for spotting that. It’s not permissible in either circumstances. That’s the regulation.All pumps must have rcd protection so it’s advisable to get a rec to install a new spur and do the appropriate tests.no spurs or switches are allowed in a hot press either.

thanks. Appreciate the advice. I'm a fan of Jim Larkin too. I presume that's him you are quoting.

Advertisement