Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice from all of my all year riders out here on a bike choice

Options
  • 21-02-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hope everyone's doing well. So basically I had a pretty bad crash a few weeks ago, car cut across me and a good aul T-Bone sent me flying over the bonnet. Very, very blessed in the way I hit that I basically had no major injury, just the usual bangs and bruises, whiplash, tissue damage... Anyway enough of that, my bike that was taken out was a GN125, and has been written off. Am being compensated for it, but am torn between using the money to get another brand new GN125 (or other 125 for that matter) or to add a bit more on top to start moving up in the world. I'm on an A2 full license, and so far the one bike that seems to be within my budget are around 07 Honda CBF500s. My question really is, buy the GN or other 125 that I'm used to and aren't expensive without adding much, or shell out a bit more on a 10 year old CBF? The whole brand new vs 10-11 year old thing is giving me slight discomfort, combined with the fact that the CBFs I've found so far have 50,000 Kms+ on them (doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them at all in fairness but I just don't have much experience in the used market at all really), but then again I am getting quite sick and tired with the whole 125 in general, since I've been on it literally EVERYDAY for 1.5 yrs now and want a change. What do yall think? Any ideas appreciated. Ride Safe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

CBF500 are a nice step up from your GN125, if you are wanting to progress your skills you could do a lot worse than one of them.
    1000 on top of your GN 125 money ~2400 would get you a decent machine, year doesn't matter that much but condition is more important.
    The CBF is a much more modern bike, the GN is ancient technology at this stage.
    Just be sure that the bike you choose is suitable to do your test on.
    Cityspares have a nice looking one on donedeal is that one you were looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 FEid

CJhaughey wrote: »
    CBF500 are a nice step up from your GN125, if you are wanting to progress your skills you could do a lot worse than one of them.
    1000 on top of your GN 125 money ~2400 would get you a decent machine, year doesn't matter that much but condition is more important.
    The CBF is a much more modern bike, the GN is ancient technology at this stage.
    Just be sure that the bike you choose is suitable to do your test on.
    Cityspares have a nice looking one on donedeal is that one you were looking at?

Hey bud. Very well spotted that is the one I was looking at to be honest. I got my GN 1.5 years ago from cityspares and know the lads there well, a very, very sound bunch in all honesty. I was looking around for them on donedeal and their are a couple cheaper ones (one even less than a GN price if you noticed), but I wouldn't be sure because I really have no experience on the private used market, and am quite worried of getting something screwed as I literally use my bike every day for commuting, visits, weekend runs, groceries etc... so would need to be comfortable and take a beating, which I heard the CBF ticks well.

Also I actually have done the test on a rented bike and have my full license so that's not really an issue :) Thank god

FEid wrote: »
    Hey bud. Very well spotted that is the one I was looking at to be honest. I got my GN 1.5 years ago from cityspares and know the lads there well, a very, very sound bunch in all honesty. I was looking around for them on donedeal and their are a couple cheaper ones (one even less than a GN price if you noticed), but I wouldn't be sure because I really have no experience on the private used market, and am quite worried of getting something screwed as I literally use my bike every day for commuting, visits, weekend runs, groceries etc... so would need to be comfortable and take a beating, which I heard the CBF ticks well.

Also I actually have done the test on a rented bike and have my full license so that's not really an issue :) Thank god

If you get on well with the dealer then I would say go with them, if they sell you the machine and look after it I'd be confident in them.
    You can always buy cheaper but sometimes like in your case its worth paying a little more for backup, yes there are others cheaper but a shop that looks after you is worth paying for imo.
    I have no problems buying privately because I have a few years of experience in looking after bikes but if you are starting out it might be worth it for your peace of mind. That CBF looks like its in very good shape, and a 500 twin is a nice machine that you can use for a lot more than the GN, you can take bigger spins to improve your skills and time on the bike, 50k isn't much mileage on a well maintained bike.

If you get on well with the dealer then I would say go with them, if they sell you the machine and look after it I'd be confident in them.
    You can always buy cheaper but sometimes like in your case its worth paying a little more for backup, yes there are others cheaper but a shop that looks after you is worth paying for imo.
    I have no problems buying privately because I have a few years of experience in looking after bikes but if you are starting out it might be worth it for your peace of mind. That CBF looks like its in very good shape, and a 500 twin is a nice machine that you can use for a lot more than the GN, you can take bigger spins to improve your skills and time on the bike, 50k isn't much mileage on a well maintained bike.

Yeah I think when I checked it had about 45K miles on it, which felt like quite a bit but then again I've only ever ridden a GN for like 6000 miles so I can't really say how it should fare after that. The main reason I was considering that Honda in particular was that no one I've asked has faulted them in any way. Any other bikes around that price range you think I should consider? As much as age doesn't matter, the whole brand new vs 11 years old thing is a good bitta difference dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

You can ride any bike all year, loads of people on here ride sportsbikes year round to work, I wouldn't let the fact you ride year round dictate what bike you get

• Advertisement

Goose81 wrote: »
    You can ride any bike all year, loads of people on here ride sportsbikes year round to work, I wouldn't let the fact you ride year round dictate what bike you get

That is a fair point I suppose. I think I'm just used to the upright position and just think of it as comfortable and easy. Plus I have a top box on my GN which I would wholeheartedly not like on a sports bike :D:D. Any solid bike you can think of thats within that price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

That is a fair point I suppose. I think I'm just used to the upright position and just think of it as comfortable and easy. Plus I have a top box on my GN which I would wholeheartedly not like on a sports bike :D:D. Any solid bike you can think of thats within that price range?

Have you looked at the Suzuki GSX bikes? I think you can ride one on your license, it's basically a depowered gsxr with a more upright position

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

FEid glad to hear you got off okay in your crash and that you're going to get back out there.

I'm going to throw in a shameless plug for one of my bikes here which i'm selling at the moment but it could be of interest to you.

A2 restricted at the moment which would be good for getting used to the increased power over the GN125 but once you got comfortable with the power you can always get the restrcitors taken out a very easy job for anyone with a little mechanical know how. It is quite a sporty looking bike but the riding position is very neutral with high clip ons. Fairly sure a top box is easily got for one too I know givi make a rack to fit this model, may even have a spare small top box lying around somewhere so you'd only need a rack.

I'm aware it might be a bit old for you but as the other lads said above age on bikes isn't all that important once the condition is good and this is a great condition bike in my opinion bought it from a dealer in Cork in September 2017.

Anyhow if your keen link below and there is definitely a boardsie discount! :pac:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-gsxf-600-a2-restricted/18011786

Goose81 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Suzuki GSX bikes? I think you can ride one on your license, it's basically a depowered gsxr with a more upright position

I haven't looked for any in fairness. I'll give it a try see what I can find

BazzyB wrote: »
    FEid glad to hear you got off okay in your crash and that you're going to get back out there.

I'm going to throw in a shameless plug for one of my bikes here which i'm selling at the moment but it could be of interest to you.

A2 restricted at the moment which would be good for getting used to the increased power over the GN125 but once you got comfortable with the power you can always get the restrcitors taken out a very easy job for anyone with a little mechanical know how. It is quite a sporty looking bike but the riding position is very neutral with high clip ons. Fairly sure a top box is easily got for one too I know givi make a rack to fit this model, may even have a spare small top box lying around somewhere so you'd only need a rack.

I'm aware it might be a bit old for you but as the other lads said above age on bikes isn't all that important once the condition is good and this is a great condition bike in my opinion bought it from a dealer in Cork in September 2017.

Anyhow if your keen link below and there is definitely a boardsie discount! :pac:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-gsxf-600-a2-restricted/18011786

Thanks for that bud. I admit it is a bit on the old side for me :D:D but I'm not ruling anything out just yet so sure stay tuned, the fact that it's already restricted is not a bad shout.

• Advertisement

I'm getting a test drive of the CBF at cityspares tomorrow so will see how that goes. Was having a look at bikeworld and they have one that just came in, 2 years older but with less mileage, for like 500 quid less. Looked a slight bit scruffier I felt but they did offer the whole service + warranty thing. See the more options I have the more confused I get :D:D

I think twins have a lot going for them over I4's less revvy usually, better torque characteristics.
    Less plugs to change as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Less plugs to change as well.

Not this :mad:
    2pocxea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No one has mentioned the CBF's reputation for being incredibly dull. So now I have.

Lumen wrote: »
    No one has mentioned the CBF's reputation for being incredibly dull. So now I have.

Duller than a GN125? Its all relative. Yes going from a 600 supersport it will feel dull, but as a commuter bike it has a lot going for it, Honda build quality is better than a lot of rivals .
    For an all weather commuter its ideal, not everyone likes sportsbikes and their riding position is not that comfortable.
    OP should test ride a few and see how ride before dismissing them because they have a dull reputation.
    The Deauville had a similar reputation back in the day but in hindsight it was undeserved and plenty of people think that they are a great machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Duller than a GN125? Its all relative. Yes going from a 600 supersport it will feel dull, but as a commuter bike it has a lot going for it, Honda build quality is better than a lot of rivals .
    For an all weather commuter its ideal, not everyone likes sportsbikes and their riding position is not that comfortable.
    OP should test ride a few and see how ride before dismissing them because they have a dull reputation.
    The Deauville had a similar reputation back in the day but in hindsight it was undeserved and plenty of people think that they are a great machine.

OK, I'm just putting it out there.

There are surely other good choices for cheapish A2 bikes. Fazer with restrictor more or less fun than a CBF500? I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If I was to buy a bike purely as a commuter and didn't care about anything else I'd have a Deauville in a heartbeat.

I can't think of any good reason I've never owned one tbh.

A few years ago you couldn't give them away but they're gaining a following and prices for the Deauville have been increasing, but you can still find bargains out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If I was to buy a bike purely as a commuter and didn't care about anything else I'd have a Deauville in a heartbeat.

A few years ago you couldn't give them away but they're gaining a following and prices for the Deauville have been increasing, but you can still find bargains out there.

I feel so smug right now haha.

I picked up my Deauville last June/July and got the usual Dullville banter, which I'm grand with, but I'm certainly happy that people are coming around to it.

Sure it's no BMW, but in terms of good touring comfort, great for commuting and a decent amount of power I'm genuinely delighted with it.

I've got a bit of a wandering eye for a GS these days, even something like the F800, but I truly recommend the Deauville to people.

I bought mine a few years ago, and heard all the crap about dullsville etc.
    Me being ignorant to most opinions I hear, I didn't listen and just went ahead and bought it, they are a very good bike for practical usage.
    I never believed just how much maintenance time you save with a shaft drive having always had chain driven bikes before.
    Decent luggage space even without a top box.
    Tall screen and handguards make commuting a breeze and comfortable as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've got a bit of a wandering eye for a GS these days, even something like the F800, but I truly recommend the Deauville to people.

Well you probably know from my posts here that I'm riding a BMW R1200GS and my son is on a BMW F800GS.

I love the little 800GS, 'little' ~ its actually taller than my 1200GS. Its a really nice ride and if I was to choose between them the 1200 would only marginally shade it.

Joe Duffy's have a few nice secondhand 800GS's up there, with a full 12 month warranty and they're happy enough to give test rides. I'd recommend one.

***Edit, I see you're in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well you probably know from my posts here that I'm riding a BMW R1200GS and my son is on a BMW F800GS.

I love the little 800GS, 'little' ~ its actually taller than my 1200GS. Its a really nice ride and if I was to choose between them the 1200 would only marginally shade it.

Joe Duffy's have a few nice secondhand 800GS's up there, with a full 12 month warranty and they're happy enough to give test rides. I'd recommend one.

***Edit, I see you're in Cork.

To be honest it was your recent posts about your GS and your sons one that really got me looking into it. The ride height looks pretty much ideal for me.

I'm in the middle of a house move at the moment, so buying a new bike isn't top of the list at the moment, but certainly something I'm looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If i was you, I'd buy something and restrict it so I can use it when getting the A license. Trust me, its annoying having to sell and get a new bike to do the test when you can do it the easy way now. This is a future proof decision.

A2 Bike list here and here , you can set it to "A, A2 if restricted"

Dullville isn't suitable for the A test as far as I can remember. [Insert dullville joke here]

zubair wrote: »
    If i was you, I'd buy something and restrict it so I can use it when getting the A license. Trust me, its annoying having to sell and get a new bike to do the test when you can do it the easy way now. This is a future proof decision.

A2 Bike list here and here , you can set it to "A, A2 if restricted"

Dullville isn't suitable for the A test as far as I can remember. [Insert dullville joke here]

That is a fair point, but since my first license was an A2, can I not just do a progressive access module to get the full A without another test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

That is a fair point, but since my first license was an A2, can I not just do a progressive access module to get the full A without another test?

No idea, but then you'll have an A license :cool: with an A2 bike :(. You'll be mad for some power by then.

Advertisement