Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Upload Query.

Options
  • 21-02-2018 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I was out for a spin earlier today. I have a Garnin 520 and when I arrived home I stopped it and pressed ‘save ride’

Normally I have to sync the Garnin with the Garnin Connect app on my phone but I hadn’t Connect open and planned to sync the two later on. I forgot totally about it and a while later I opened Strava and my ride was there already uploaded. How did that happen? I closed all apps before I left the house and so Strava wasn’t even running/open in the background?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I closed all apps before I left the house and so Strava wasn’t even running/open in the background?

1. Doing that is redundant

2. Just because you dont see the app in multitasking doesnt mean its data service isnt running. Sounds like the app was improved to sync silently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

I have the 520 as well, and to be honest I never (explicitly) use the Connect app to sync - the 520 automatically connects the phone over bluetooth provided it is on for both of them, and automatically uploads upon me saving the ride. Most likely your one is set up similarly and your going to Garmin Connect has been unnecessary in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Is your Garmin connected to your home WiFi network?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

cython wrote: »
    I have the 520 as well, and to be honest I never (explicitly) use the Connect app to sync - the 520 automatically connects the phone over bluetooth provided it is on for both of them, and automatically uploads upon me saving the ride. Most likely your one is set up similarly and your going to Garmin Connect has been unnecessary in the past?

Same process for me, just save the ride on the 520 and provided the phone bluetooth is on everything else just happens.

In strava I have then set all my rides to private by default to give me a chance to set a description or whatever before its public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Is your Garmin connected to your home WiFi network?

Edge 520 does not have any wifi support, so not apt to be a cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Possibly but I don’t think that’s always been the case. I remember synching the 520 and Connect the following day in order to upload rides to Strava so perhaps it’s as a result of some recent Strava update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Ditto for me... Just happens.. pure magic :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is strava even needed on your phone? what's the data flow; garmin connect on phone -> garmin servers -> strava servers, or garmin connect on phone -> strava app on phone -> strava servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

is strava even needed on your phone? what's the data flow; garmin connect on phone -> garmin servers -> strava servers, or garmin connect on phone -> strava app on phone -> strava servers?

The former.

I’d be more interested to know if Connect was needed. Will calls/texts display on the Garnin without Connect being present? I’m going to delete the Connect app before going out tomorrow and seeing how things go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

If you don't have the app then how will the phone know where to direct the call/text notifications, or do live tracking etc?

The app runs in the background. Mostly for me it'll upload instantly from my various garmin if in Bluetooth range if phone, though occasionally I do need to go into the app and manually trigger the sync.

To add also, I've had notification from strava & training peaks that my ride has uploaded, but not gotten the corresponding one from garmin. Seems to be some odd lag on their end occasionally despite the fact that the strava/training peaks sync is done via garmin connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Once I've bluetooth on, my uploads happen automatically with Connect. I don't need the app to be open. I use a 920xt, and that also does wifi uploads, if I've bluetooth off.

You won't get notifications unless you have connect and wifi, although I've turned that off during activities as in too many whatsapp groups because of the children (don't need multiple "thanks" notifications after some info is shared on a ride!)
    Grassey wrote: »
    To add also, I've had notification from strava & training peaks that my ride has uploaded, but not gotten the corresponding one from garmin. Seems to be some odd lag on their end occasionally despite the fact that the strava/training peaks sync is done via garmin connect.
    I have that most of the time - out of the three, a notification of upload to connect is normally the last one rather than the first. I just put it down to not being one way communication between Garmin and Connect - it's uploading and downloading?

Anyway, I find the auto sync one of the best features compared to having to hook it up.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Once I've bluetooth on, my uploads happen automatically with Connect. I don't need the app to be open. I use a 920xt, and that also does wifi uploads, if I've bluetooth off.

You won't get notifications unless you have connect and wifi, although I've turned that off during activities as in too many whatsapp groups because of the children (don't need multiple "thanks" notifications after some info is shared on a ride!)

I knew I wouldn’t get text/call notifications if the app wasn’t open but I never realised that the upload through Connect happens even when the app is closed/not running in the background.

Advertisement