Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation in steel shed

Options
  • 21-02-2018 7:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at an Adman or Steel tech type shed for the back garden. Considering the wooden one that's currently there runs into the mid 30s temperature wise on any day when the sun's out I'm thinking insulation is a must.

There's a fairly pronounced price jump from a non insulated to an insulated one so I was considering a DIY solution. Like get the steel shed in and then look after the interior myself.

Anyone try this before? Was condensation a problem, how did you go about fixing shelves?

Cheers,
    R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I would pay the extra for the insulated sheets. I have a metal shed and the drips from it area night mare. Im going to spray foam it when I get the money but if I was buying a new shed id pay the extra for the proper insualted sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 15 colm101

I had the same problem, I fitted a large (12") vent at the front and rear to allow cold air get out and it made a big difference for really small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Ventilation may reduce condensation from uninsulated cladding sheets but will not guarantee against condensation forming on anything you have stored in the shed. In short- if you have tools or machinery stored in the shed you may want to consider insulated cladding and some background heating and ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ventilation may reduce condensation from uninsulated cladding sheets but will not guarantee against condensation forming on anything you have stored in the shed. In short- if you have tools or machinery stored in the shed you may want to consider insulated cladding and some background heating and ventilation.
    Would it not be more efficient to make it reasonably air tight and use a dessicant dehumidifier? And then a small heater set very low e.g. 5C for winter.

Tools are unlike people in that they don't breathe and don't need a minimum humidity level.

This sort of thing...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/review/B00HO962RA/R2EZ3D1NDZ0F7Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_rvw_6?ie=UTF8&cursor=6

...which will start up every 30 minutes, check the humidity and shut down when it's low enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Roen wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently looking at an Adman or Steel tech type shed for the back garden. Considering the wooden one that's currently there runs into the mid 30s temperature wise on any day when the sun's out I'm thinking insulation is a must.

There's a fairly pronounced price jump from a non insulated to an insulated one so I was considering a DIY solution. Like get the steel shed in and then look after the interior myself.

Anyone try this before? Was condensation a problem, how did you go about fixing shelves?

Cheers,
    R.

I'm in the exact same position as you now, what did you end up doing in the end?

Dan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Nothing in the end, decided to wait out one whole year before making a call.
    So far condensation was worse in Autumn than Winter.
    Oddly the majority of it formed on the containers of liquids in the shed rather than on steel surfaces or tools.

The ply on which the containers were sitting got a bit mouldy, but I whipped those shelves out a month or so ago and bleached them, then coated them with a spare bit of Owatrol Textrol I had knocking about.
    So far so good.

Will wait til next Autumn before making a call on whether I will bother with insulation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Anyone DIY'd the insulation?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

looking for similar advice if anyone has any updates ?

Advertisement