Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are goosed!

Options
  • 20-02-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Quick advice if you please. Hubby moved companies after 16 yrs. Better money and prospects. From the end of the first week he realised he would not make his line-manager happy. She's brutal. Everyone else is fab but it's a start up (4 years old) and about to expand. There's no HR person and about 4 in the management team. Anyway, yesterday she decided she was going to fire my hubby. He's been there only 6 weeks so not entitled to anything. The reason is that she doesn't like his style of work though she and the CEO (operates from |UK)interviewed him for two hours and went through his portfolio and cv thoroughly. Nothing came in way of warning and nothing in writing. The others challenged her but she would not back down. She demanded he leave and a number of staff left also to take him for a drink. Lots of noise made of how dare she etc but radio silence today. He's emailed the CEO but no response. Theres nothing in writing at all. Citizen Advice just say to email, which we did but as I said radio silence. He's talented but the nature of the job is subjective (marketing/design). Any advice?? We have dependants+++
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Employment rights solicitor would be your husbands best option.

Edit, mixed up who was there only 6 weeks. Sorry my understanding is you have little rights in regards being let go in the first year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Employment rights solicitor would be your husbands best option.

He's been working there six weeks has no rights apart from being paid whatever his notice period is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

That's a horrible thing to have happened to anyone. Unfortunately, Irish employment law isn't going to be of much use to him if he's only been in the job for a few weeks.

My advice is for him to go to Social Welfare tomorrow morning and apply for jobseekers benefit. He should bring his last payslip if he got one and he needs to ask his employer for his P45 to be issued asap. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but you've got to be practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gummiebear

Yup, we know he's entitled to nothing but say they don't produce a P45 or payment for days worked this month? We would hope also that they would give him a letter stating that a fair procedures wasn't followed?? Grasping at straws?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Squatter wrote: »
    That's a horrible thing to have happened to anyone. Unfortunately, Irish employment law isn't going to be of much use to him if he's only been in the job for a few weeks.

My advice is for him to go to Social Welfare tomorrow morning and apply for jobseekers benefit. He should bring his last payslip if he got one and he needs to ask his employer for his P45 to be issued asap. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but you've got to be practical.

I'd also be checking his contract to see what his notice period is durng probation, he is entitled to be paid for that

• Advertisement

gummiebear wrote: »
    Yup, we know he's entitled to nothing but say they don't produce a P45 or payment for days worked this month? We would hope also that they would give him a letter stating that a fair procedures wasn't followed?? Grasping at straws?

He's entitled to his outstandingpay and pay in lieu of notice along with his p45

As for the letter you are mad, no company would issue such a letter.

Has he got the CEOs phone number? Phone them if they don't get back via email assuming it's not the CEO refusing to pay

Advertisement