Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employing

Options
  • 20-02-2018 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi..
    I like to get some experienced knowledge on employing..
    I'm almost a year in to my new cleaning business, it's going very well but only so much work I can do myself plus I'm having to turn away possible clients.
    is it worth employing someone paying them the minimum rate and only charging the client 12e per hr..
    take wage, prsi, supplies etc not much profit left.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You need to charge more

• Registered Users Posts: 19 masskr

You need to charge more

just after rising my rate from 10e ph, was advised by a business advisor to charge 15e ph.
    when I put it out to all my current clients all but 2 was either going to let me go or reduce hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

masskr wrote: »
    just after rising my rate from 10e ph, was advised by a business advisor to charge 15e ph.
    when I put it out to all my current clients all but 2 was either going to let me go or reduce hours

How much are you charging for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I have a friend that runs a large contract cleaning company and its all about volume. You need loads and loads of cleaners out there making you 2 euro an hour. Margins are tight. It's a volume game. And that will take time. But when you have the staff you can get the contracts you want and start to make proper money.
    Maybe look into branching off into selling of equipment and cleaning products too for additional mark up.

charging 9.55ph for myself, take out cleaning products .. I'm making peanuts..
    interesting 're...selling products only thing is I don't know I would get it fitted in..

• Advertisement

charging 9.55ph for myself, take out cleaning products .. I'm making peanuts..
    interesting 're...selling products only thing is I don't know I would get it fitted in..

Your cleaning business is not successful. Are you vat registered and insured with transport and charging that or getting a few quid in the hand?

No judgement either way.

Ajsoprano wrote:
    Your cleaning business is not successful. Are you vat registered and insured with transport and charging that or getting a few quid in the hand?

But it cud be ajsoprano, I know it cud as I'm so busy and still have more possible clients.
    yes I'm registered with revenue not insured as yet. I'm totally lost with all of this revenue stuff

But it cud be ajsoprano, I know it cud as I'm so busy and still have more possible clients.
    yes I'm registered with revenue not insured as yet. I'm totally lost with all of this revenue stuff

Your clients will pack it in if you charge any more. If you aren’t insured no business will let you on they’re premises Incase you fall out a window.

What you are doing is scraping the barrel and existing in a world where you have to work for pretty much minimum wage.
    You could get a job as a cleaner and not have the headache or go fully compliant and try get businesses as clients.

Ajsoprano wrote:
    What you are doing is scraping the barrel and existing in a world where you have to work for pretty much minimum wage. You could get a job as a cleaner and not have the headache or go fully compliant and try get businesses as clients.

Ajsoprano wrote:
    Your clients will pack it in if you charge any more. If you aren’t insured no business will let you on they’re premises Incase you fall out a window.

Totally understand and agree regarding insurance but if I did venture into premises this wud be a must..
    I've taught long and hard over just leaving all the paper work to the professionals who knows what to do and for me to do what I know best and love.. but I've another 1.5yrs left of the BTWE so I'm going to continue it out and see from there.. love to make a go of this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Think about the attitude of a person working for you for minimum wage, with no hope of having a share in the business. Would they keep your customers happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If you employ someone full time who has been on the dole for 2 yrs you can get a grant for of €10,000 paid over a 2 year period, so at 39 hr week at €372 a week government paids €100 a week so you pay employee €272 +€100 grant = €372.

Think about the attitude of a person working for you for minimum wage, with no hope of having a share in the business. Would they keep your customers happy?

Hundreds of people on minimum wage with no hope of having a share,most are good hard honest workers.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    If you employ someone full time who has been on the dole for 2 yrs you can get a grant for of €10,000 paid over a 2 year period, so at 39 hr week at €372 a week government paids €100 a week so you pay employee €272 +€100 grant = €372.

There are more costs to employees than their wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

How much is your competition charging? When the benefits of the back to work scheme run out the gloss will go off e12 an hour.
    Your clients are going to say they are going to jump ship if you charge e14-15 but will they?
    If u are turning away work price any new stuff at e15-16 n see if u get it.

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    There are more costs to employees than their wage.

But still it helps.

Advertisement