Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 - South Port extension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Would access be restricted to port traffic/public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

marno21 wrote: »
    As part of the National Development Plan, there will be an appraisal of a potential M50 extension from the Port Tunnel through to the South Port, which was previously part of the Eastern Bypass scheme

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/port-eyes-new-liffey-bridge-for-tunnel-link-36614640.html

If approved, design will start on this in 2019.

the south port is all containers - is there an argument it would be better to move that bit of the port elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

heres a document from a few years ago with a proposed corridor, which shows it very close to the east link bridge.
    http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/strategic-planning/strategic-reports/EasternBypassCorridor-Protection-StudySectorASept014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

M50 should continue as a 12 lane motorway with super flyovers here. Upgrade the port tunnel to 4 lanes each way too minimum.

Then we can tunnel out under Sandymount Strand and connect with the M50 with a further 10 lane extension.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

M50 should continue as a 12 lane motorway with super flyovers here. Upgrade the port tunnel to 4 lanes each way too minimum.

Then we can tunnel out under Sandymount Strand and connect with the M50 with a further 10 lane extension.

This isn't boards.us Kermit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭prunudo

marno21 wrote: »
    This isn't boards.us Kermit :)

No but he does have a point, i think for the m50 to work it needs to be a full circle. The eastern bypass needs to be built as an overall master plan for Dublin infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

My understanding is that Dublin Port want a new bridge over the Liffey to connect the south docks to the Port Tunnel. This sounds reasonable but linking the Port Tunnel to the M50 is madness.

The only way an Eastern Bypass should be considered is if it is an actual bypass, i.e. no exit between where it leaves the M50 on the south side and where it meets the M1. Anything else will just funnel huge volumes of traffic into city centre streets which are not, and never will be, capable of handling it. The entire docklands area would be gridlocked every day.

There is no benefit to be had from completing the M50 circle (apart from saving a few minutes on a journey from the M11 to the airport at times when the M50 is quite anyway). The gridlock in the city centre, before entering the PT, negating any benefit when travelling further north, making the existing M50 a better option. The only realistic option is capacity management and providing public transport alternatives in order to free up capacity on the existing M50.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    My understanding is that Dublin Port want a new bridge over the Liffey to connect the south docks to the Port Tunnel. This sounds reasonable but linking the Port Tunnel to the M50 is madness.

Indeed, and the plan is to build this and integrate it into the M50, as part of the M50.
    Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The only way an Eastern Bypass should be considered is if it is an actual bypass, i.e. no exit between where it leaves the M50 on the south side and where it meets the M1. Anything else will just funnel huge volumes of traffic into city centre streets which are not, and never will be, capable of handling it. The entire docklands area would be gridlocked every day.

I would agree with this but I would have an exit where it would cross the N11 (or R138 now), but there isn't even room for additional junctions along most of the route. The N11 junction at UCD would free up some of the roads around Mount Merrion/Stillorgan/Leopardstown/Sandyford being used as M50 access routes.

The fact that the reserved corridor between the M50 and Goatstown is used for the Drummartin Link Road is another issue.
    There is no benefit to be had from completing the M50 circle (apart from saving a few minutes on a journey from the M11 to the airport at times when the M50 is quite anyway). The gridlock in the city centre, before entering the PT, negating any benefit when travelling further north, making the existing M50 a better option. The only realistic option is capacity management and providing public transport alternatives in order to free up capacity on the existing M50.

I think it would be useful as a corridor between the city and the M50 but it certainly is not worth spending €4bn on right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I **think** the Eastern bypass plans as they were several years ago only had a junction at the N11, and that was restricted access (only outbound to the Sandyford direction).

Advertisement