Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to a cluster day for their subject area?

Options
  • 20-02-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has been to one of the JCT cluster days for their particular subject area? How was it, what did the day involve? Did you find it beneficial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has been to one of the JCT cluster days for their particular subject area? How was it, what did the day involve? Did you find it beneficial?

Yes I attended one last year. Initially I thought it would be another JCT day but it was pretty good. The speakers knew what they were talking about and were able to handle the difficult questions - they didn't shun them like they did at JCT day.

Our day went as follows: Introductions and specification introduction. We made fantastic posters that went on the wall - we were so proud :) We then did some subject based group work and finished up with some planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Yes. Better than the generic JCT day but still a lot of waffle at the start- you could smell the planning to keep us going till break , lunch etc. As usual the actual practical planning stuff was Left to the end and all a bit rushed so of little real value
    Huge push to follow everything on Twitter- which is all well and good if you're into it but crap if you're not. A WOW week of webinars has been announced for different subject areas but all 7-8pm which I saw one follower point out interferes with family life and young children's bedtime and I agree with them
    We do enough CP hours and CDP why is more stuff being pushed on us in the evening times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yes. Better than the generic JCT day but still a lot of waffle at the start- you could smell the planning to keep us going till break , lunch etc. As usual the actual practical planning stuff was Left to the end and all a bit rushed so of little real value
    Huge push to follow everything on Twitter- which is all well and good if you're into it but crap if you're not. A WOW week of webinars has been announced for different subject areas but all 7-8pm which I saw one follower point out interferes with family life and young children's bedtime and I agree with them
    We do enough CP hours and CDP why is more stuff being pushed on us in the evening times?

I presume it's if you want to interact and ask questions you'd be there live.
    Otherwise you can watch the recording after...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

But it's a valid point - what if you DO want to interact and ask questions - but have a young family? I'm in that position myself. Hubby just starting into late nights at work so won't be home so I'm doing all evening routine on my own at the moment. I can't participate live if I wanted to. But may have been able to if it was later. Edchatie goes live at 8.30 - much better timing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

But it's a valid point - what if you DO want to interact and ask questions - but have a young family? I'm in that position myself. Hubby just starting into late nights at work so won't be home so I'm doing all evening routine on my own at the moment. I can't participate live if I wanted to. But may have been able to if it was later. Edchatie goes live at 8.30 - much better timing imo

From my experience you could always email one of the JCT people. Their email addresses are available on their website and they are generally quick enough in responding to any questions I've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

In my case, I found it a pure waste of my time. Their was no actual content or help ready for our particular subject. Instead we evaluated some computer games to see if they would be suitable to use in class. Head wrecking stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've attended three Science days. The first one was disgracefully bad. The second one was a little better but not much, mostly filler and no answers to questions. The third one was ok as it focused on marking CBAs instead of happy clappy AfL gimmicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

That's the point - the JCT people want you to listen like good children and God forbid you might ask them a question!!!!! I thought they were moving away from the chalk and talk!!!! :) I think it would be more beneficial to hold regional subject meetings in education centres during a school day to facilitate those who have lives after four in the evening.

Advertisement