Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion on Volvo s40?

Options
  • 20-02-2018 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a different car. Saw a 2008 Volvo s40 for sale for reasonable money. I was wondering does anyone here have any experience with this facelift model from 2008-2011? It has the 1.6d engine. Any problems I should look out for? I heard the turbo usually blows if the car has not been serviced correctly. Any reply will be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get the 2.0d over the 1.6d. The 1.6d is hit and miss around reliability. I had one years ago and I was spending a fair bit of money on it regularly. Electrics can give problems on them too, the S40 is based on the Ford Focus so they are quite small on the inside, very comfortable cruisers though. Servicing and repair costs can be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aidan_paul

2 Litre off the cards I think. Doubt I'd get insured on it. That's why I was asking about the 1.6 as it'll probably be the only one I wouldn't get a quote of 6000 on!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Being honest, I'd probably look at something else then. That engine can be more trouble than good and they don't improve with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 flyer2018

Hi all, sharing my experience with with Volvo : everything that has smaller engine than 2l no point to look at common problems flywheel, head gasket. Bigger engine not a bother up to 350k milage after that just falls apart, (not the engine :D) volvo is a that type of car even half broken still be able to drive, of course if you are able to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I have a 2010 S40 1.6D, bought it 2 years ago, and there is ~200,000 km on it. Thankfully, no problems to report so far, but the other posters here have opened my eyes to potential problems down the line :pac: I will probably be trading next year anyway, so hopefully I avoid any pitfalls in the meantime.

On the car, I've found it to be reliable, very comfortable (Volvos have excellent seats and driving positions IMO), and relatively economical. I like the styling and look of the car, and the minimalist interior design ages well. My main criticism is that the 1.6D feels under-powered, so if you want a bit of forward thrust, this isn't really the car for you. If I was going to buy again, I would go for the 2.0D instead, based on this. The other drawback is servicing. I have no previous experience of dealing with Volvo, but it is obvious that they are moving into the "premium" market. As such, parts can be quite expensive - so just be aware of this too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 flyer2018

Sorry didn't wanted to disappoint anyone. Have owned nothing but the Volvo's.
    I'm not saying that it's not reliable or not comfortable. Obsalutely love comfort of interior it has all extras, super grip on the road and cornering in bad weather conditions, very economical on fuel.

At first had 2004 1.6TDI flywheel problems 950eur to replace happened car was 6 years old that time 156k kilometers, car drove perfectly but when starting engine jumped and noise like driving helicopter.
    It was too slow but when head gasket was gone (as mechanic said) it still was able to drive, but crazy hassle it wouldn't go up on hill its like a turtle on first gear and some 3km/h on normal road I could get it up to 80km/h while mechanic was ordering parts some turbo pipe blew up that coast over 1500 so I got rid of car, but it still was able to drive only wouldn't go faster than 60km/h

Then I got 2007 2TDI milage on the car was 210k kilometers drove 4 years no hassle only small things like bulbs (50eur peace) and wheel barrings (170eur)
    But around 350k it started falling apart, and it's really pricey to fix, air flow meter 280, charger 350, oil sump to fix 180 but to replace 950, wish bones front 320 rear 270, then some pipe blew up not too sure what it was some brown liquid was leaking car got towed stayed week in garage 460 to replace this part. Few months no hassle and surprise with electronics.. It's just over secured car.... If there's some mistakes in the system it won't let you to start it. Needed diagnostic to remove mistakes. Okay if you can't start it during the day not far from garage, but if it's middle of the night and you have to drive somewhere urgently? To avoid this happening always leave wheels turned straight and don't touch stearing wheel before you start the engine. But still there is no warranty that it won't happen. This problem with electrics mistakes that locking stearing wheel and not allow to start the engine common to all Volvo's from 2005+ its just a question when it ll starts happening, my friend got this problem on 290k kilometers , my car survived till 380 k kilometers
    Servicing
    Isn't very expensive, timing belt kit change depends on garage private 250-300 but official 400+. Full service in private 130-140 in official 170-180 approximately same as other cars

Advertisement